Hello from the Upstart Garden, I'm a new chick in this coop.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UpstartGarden, May 11, 2011.

1. UpstartGarden

UpstartGarden New Egg

May 11, 2011
    Hello fellow chicken lovers,
    Though I have been doing my research and homework preparing for the role of chicken keeper, I have never raised chickens before. I am very excited and nervous about the arrival of my 12 chicks May 24th. Our half acre will be home to 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Gold Lace Wyandotte, 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte, 1 Australorp, 1 Buff Orpington, 4 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Buff Brahma Bantams. My husband and I currently share our home with a quirky little Boston Terrier (Daisy), a mellow old Welsh Pembroke Corgi (Bronte) who is the farm supervisor, a lazy old orange cat, a self-proclaimed opportunist (Elliot) and next week a wee chihuahua pup of 8 weeks who is yet to be named.
    Rather than being slaves to a lawn that is basically scraped off pasture land, my husband and I are working hard at turning our 1/2 acre into an edible estate. Our chickens will be beloved pets that lay eggs, patrol bugs, tenderize the grounds, and improve my compost. I am happy to join this forum!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to BYC. An edible estate? Wow you are very forward thinking. Have fun with your chicks on the 24th. You picked a nice mix, eye candy! Be prepared for super vigilance with your dogs though. Even the most precious of dogs can't resist an active "toy".

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Welcome! By the sounds of it, you might like one of Nifty's other forums, Sufficient Self, link at bottom of the page. Lots of us have 'edible estates', although that is a very unique way of saying it. come on over and check it out!!

4. fancysilkie

fancysilkie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi! and [​IMG] That sounds amazing and don't be too nervous! You sound like your going to do a great job!

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]

6. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Welcome! I'm new too and have a similar plan. Part of my old horse pasture is being converted to a small garden and another part will hopefully be chickens. Hubby is reluctant, but I'm working on it [​IMG]

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens