Hello from the willamette valley

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sammiithm, Dec 19, 2014.

1. sammiithm

sammiithm New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi everyone I came across BYC while doing research on raising chickens for egg production (they will also be well loved pets). I have never done this before, I just recently moved to the country and I've always wanted to have chickens so this Spring I'm going to start with just a few. Very happy to have found this forum so I can find the information I need and ask questions to make sure my chickens are happy and healthy :)

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Welcome neighbor :) We live out in Jefferson!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If sheer egg production is your main priority, you should either go with the sex links (for brown eggs) or White Leghorns (for white eggs) as these are the hens used by commercial laying houses for good reason; they are egg laying machines. I've raised both kinds and would personally recommend the Black Sex Links. They are friendlier and more cold hardy than Leghorns, and have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. My White Leghorns laid similar numbers but my Black Sex Links have outlayed them in really cold winter temperatures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your egg production.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! Drop by the learning centre here is the link..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/
    It's a great place to start for your research into chicken keeping. Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture in the spring and hope you enjoy BYC Everyone here to help you along the way :frow

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens