1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from the Wisconsin Driftless Area!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by driftlessgirl, Mar 15, 2016.

1. driftlessgirl

driftlessgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    Kickapoo Valley, WI
    Hello BYC!

Last year my husband and I left the rat race of Madison and bought a cabin on 5 acres in the middle of the Kickapoo Valley. I nagged my husband early on about doing backyard chickens once we got settled, and we decided to give it a go this year! I happened to visit Tractor Supply during Chick Days (I know...) went a little crazy and grabbed 12 chicks: 4 buff orpingtons, 4 red rangers, and 4 cornish rock. Orpingtons were on my want-list, but I had no clue about the rangers or the cornish. Looks like we're going to be having some meat in the freezer shortly. [​IMG] I was hoping for more layers but you live and (thanks to BYC) you learn. I'm not sure how old my chicks are but they seem to be doing well so far. My kids are loving taking care of them and holding them. My 3 year old will tell me "It's time to go check the chickens!" My husband even came to hold some the minute he got home from work. I think he likes them more than he lets on.

Hoping BYC will help me connect with more chicken lovers in my area. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. Congrats on your new chicks - the kids must love them.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. I think the faster(easiest) way to find something is the search box. Put in Wisconsin and your state thread will pop up. You may find some chickeners near you.

1 person likes this.
  4. 5Sons Coop

5Sons Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Cold winters
    Welcome fellow Wisconsinite :welcome

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Funny how you just "happened" to be at TSC during chick days...that seems to happen to a lot of people this time of year, lol. Glad to hear everyone is enjoying them. Chicks (and chickens) are fun and interesting to raise.

Make yourself at home here, it nice to have you!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by