Hello from Thomas, OK

OkieRoost

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 29, 2013
Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts!

My name is Jim, and I'm really glad this website/forum exists because I've learned a ton! My wife and I recently bought our first house about 3 months ago. Both of us have wanted chickens as long as we've been married (almost 2 years), but we haven't been able to get any until we moved. We actually live in town, but its a small town with no chicken ordinances, so several people have them here. We bought 4 pullet chics about 2 or 3 weeks after we moved in. 2 barred rocks, a RIR, and an ameraucana. Until a few weeks ago I had been keeping them In a big box trying to figure out If I was going to build a coop or turn our shop building into a coop. Someone on a local Facebook buy/sell/trade posted a coop for sell that was exactly what we were looking for, and we got It for a really good price. You can see It in the pic below. A few weeks ago we added 2 new hens to our flock, they are both White Polish hens. We decided we probably shouldn't get more than about 8 total, so the neighbors won't hate us, but they are so addicting I don't know how many we will end up with lol!

I'm thinking about building a roofed run, and would love some suggestions on what would be a good way to do it.

I will put up a pic of the polish hens when I figure it out

Last edited:
Cute coop, how large is it? Rule of thumb is 4 sg.feet per bird in the coop, and 10 sg. feet per bird in outside run... Most people get seriously addicted to chickens and there is no stopping them. Before long, the second coop is built, then another and so on. Nothing but chicken enablers here at BYC you've
gig.gif
been warned

The coop floor is 4×8 I'm pretty sure. The previous owner of the coop said they had over 20 in there for a while, I bet that was probably pretty crowded.

Back
Top Bottom