Hello from Tri-Cities Washington

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jbarth8924, May 6, 2011.

1. jbarth8924

jbarth8924 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    New to the site and chickens.
    Chickens are the best pets I've ever had! They eat your bugs and weeds, fertilize your flower beds and thank-you with delicious eggs!
    Being a new chicken owner ( less than 6 months experience), I do have an issue though. I have 2 beautiful mixed breed hens who are about 1 year old. They each lay 1 egg almost every day. I have them outside in a 4 foot x 4 foot coop with 10 foot by 12 foot run. I have 2 roosts in the coop. They also have access to water and food inside and outside the coop. I let them free range when I am home.

Recently I acquired 4 chicks. They grew like crazy. So now that they are 3 months old I would like them outside in the coop. They are not one big happy family though! The hens chase and peck at the pullets. I sectioned off an area in the run so the pullets can get away from the hens and have access to their own shelter, food and water. Anyone have any advise?

Will the pullets ever be allowed in the coop?
    Will they ever be one big happy family?

Stay tuned, new chick

2. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    [​IMG] from your neighbor to the northeast!

We still have the same 3 hens we started out with last May, so I don't have any personal experience. Just from what I've read here on BYC it sounds like you're doing all the right things, it just takes time. I've also read that all the chickens should be about the same size when integrated. Keeping them separate but close for awhile is your best bet. When the time is right, you can allow them to free range a bit together and share their favorite treat. I've also read that "sneaking" the new birds into the coop and onto the roost at night sometimes works. I think the overwhelming theme is time. I'm sure those with more practical experience will chime in soon. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site - stick around!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the chicken addiction, from Renton.

Used to have a good friend in the tri-cities, visited often. You can try putting the bully hens in chicken jail for a week or two. That'll knock them down a peg.

[​IMG] Now sally forth and post! [​IMG]

Imp- Who is this Sally Forth? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by