Hello from upstate NY..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AdkChiksNRoos, Jun 21, 2016.

1. AdkChiksNRoos

AdkChiksNRoos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    I just wanted to say hi to all. And thank you to a lot of you for some great info and ideas. I've never posted on the forum before but have been gaining great knowledge and ideas from this site and the awesome people on it for the
    Some day hopefully I'll pass on my knowledge to others the way you've all helped me.

Heres a pic of our second coop build. Our first was kind of on the fly and full of noobie mistakes. We wanted something rustic and inviting. Its not 100% complete yet but we're extremely happy with the results so far. We couldn't of done it without the guidance from this site though.

So again. Thank you !!
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - very nice job on the coop.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining the BYC flock, you can build for me anytime. Wow Do you have any more photos, descriptions of your build?. I believe the Coop Building contest is still accepting entries.

Moderator Sumi could fill you in.

4. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    Thank you :)..

5. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    Thank you for the generous complement !! I dont have any more pics of the coop yet. And unfortunately i did not take many during construction. My fiance and i were literally putting a few hours in each night after work between tending to three dogs and two young boys. We both work long hours in the restaurant industry and were way too exhausted to stop and take pictures.

I can say this. Weve been working on it whenever we've had spare time for the last month and a half. It is 8.5' x 9'. We constructed it from rough cut cedar. I love the rustic look and feel from fresh, rough cut lumber. Our neighbor owns a saw mill. So we have an unlimited supply and its way stronger, cheaper, and more accurate of a measurement than big box store lumber.. the frame is 2x4. Floor is 3/4" ply set on 3 4x4's pressure treated. We went with the black jack rubber roof coating on the floor and about a foot up the interior walls. ( the stuff is awesome btw, I highly recommend ) the walls are covered in a off white bluish latex paint for easy cleanup. Its storm coat by behr I believe.. the outside is 1x12 cedar boards.
    The door and trim are all 1x4. We ripped the 1x4 down to 1x3 for all the wondow framing. The windows are framed to the coop and covered with hardware cloth. we added a second frame with plexi that is hinged to let air in on hot days. The coop door will be automatic. We are using the car antenna idea. The roof is simply a corrugated metal roof. The deck is actually a 3x8 pallet I found behind lowes. As soon as i saw it i thought deck!!! We will be adding a dust bath to the inside hopefully detering the girls from digging in the grass any longer. Our nesting boxes will be 9"x12" storage baskets from AC moore. An automatic waterer and a treadle feeder will complete the inside. I will post more pics soon..

Thanks again for the nice compliments. :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great looking coop! I do fear however, that you girls will still dig up your garden, but thats a small price to pay for keeping chickens IMO [​IMG]

Best wishes
    CT

7. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    Thanks for the concern. It is definitely a concern of ours. What we did was emulate the garden around our house. So none of the plants are foreign to themake and hopefully they'll inspect things less. Most of our girls are two years old and have preferences to what they like. And our whole flock is free range all day. The most they've ever done is dig up the mulch. (Knock on wood. The basket on the deck is actually an herb garden we hoped they'd pick at to keep them away from the others and get a few more nutrients. We haven't lost a plant yet. But anything is possible with chickens running the backyard .

8. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    @AdkChiksNRoos this is so awesome I am from Upstate New York too! So I live in Holland Patent which is a hour and a half away from you! I love meeting people that live in my area and have a flock! That is so awesome. Well if you ever need anything such as re homing or adoptions know that I am right around the corner. I still am super excited wheww! I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

9. AdkChiksNRoos

Jun 9, 2016
    Ballston Spa N.Y
    Awesome to hear Justin and thank you. Yes we love meeting other chicken enthusiasts too. It's nice to someone close to talk to and bounce ideas off of. If we're ever in need of an adoptee or rehoming we will give you a jingle. But let's hope not lol. We will be posting plenty of pics don't worry. And I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions. Thanks again

Rob

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by