hello from Upstate of SC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hermitfarmer, Jan 26, 2015.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Hello open call to any other small scale backyard farmers around the area who could offer any ideas or experiences with sprouting grains. I have looked at the sprouting post on the web and it looks like something I can do. I am retired and chickens and goats are about all I can handle due to a back injury I am limited to raising chickens and small animals that I can handle. I only have 4 chickens right now 2 barred rocks and 2 rode island reds. I am looking to get into meat chickens and doing a free range operation at my farm. I look forward to any ideas on the sprouting and I will be reading up on the forum.

Have a good evening.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. FoxHead

FoxHead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Greenville, MI
    Hey!

I have sprouted fodder! Using barley seed from the local mill, it was about $12 per 50lbs. I have been meaning to mix in other seed, like black sunflower, but I wanted to see if I could do it first!
    It was so simple. I purchased plastic trays from a local grow store and put about 15-20 drain holes in the bottom (I used a drill press just to be quick). After soaking a mason jar of seed for 24 hours, I spread it in the bottom of the plastic tray,rinsed the seed and let the water drain, set it into a second plastic tray (no holes), and put it near a window. I watered it well and let it drain twice per day. It took a few days to sprout, but once it did, it grew in one week and was in the barnyard!
    The only thing I've watched for, is mold, or a sour smell. If you see or smell either, ditch it. I think it was caused by combo of poor air circulation and not draining well. Sometimes I slightly turn the plastic tray with the seed so it sits on top of the bottom tray. Better air circulation and drain.

If you like growing the fodder, there are many ways out there to get on a more consistent, larger scale. I plan on having a bigger set up this spring. A 50# bag of seed goes so far!!

Keep me posted!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Thanks I see so much feed wasted and the potential for rats getting into the coop attracted by scattered feed it just makes sense to me. I thank you all for the replies. I am going out tomorrow and see if the scrap yards still has the old bakers racks that I saw while back. I do a lot of scrounging in places like that and the metal I have found for roofing and other items is a money saver for me.

Thanks

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The above members have given you good advice and links.

Good luck!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about sprouting grains. However, Kelsie2290 gave you some good links. You could also post in the Feeding section of the forums for more advice on the subject: Feeding & Watering Your Flock

Good luck with your chickens and goats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by