Hello From Utah! Egg Laying Question here!

BuckBuckBuckAAH

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 21, 2012
Hi all!
We're in Southern Utah, and are new to chicken raising. I got the chicken coop up, we have aquired our flock, and have been patiently waiting for eggs.... to no avail.
Coop- check.
laying boxes- check
roof over their heads- check
water trough- check
laying mash pellets- check
daily fresh food and veggies- check
happy chickens- check (I think)

They were all younger pullets when we got them in the spring, but they should be laying now and are not. Any advice?

We have a motley group of hens, mostly unknowns and some banty's) and one banty rooster that just "showed up" one morning. I will post pictures of the group, so if anyone recognizes the breeds please let us know!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Looks like you've got everything you need for a flock of chickens, well done! Chickens lay once they know and trust their coop and pen, and feel like they're home. They won't lay in the winter without a heat lamp, so depending on how cold it's getting there, that may start becoming a reason of no eggs. BYC welcomes you with open arms, I hope any questions or advice you need gets answered quickly and helps you out! God Bless!

I forgot to add:

We have had our chickens for about 4-5 months now, and they seem well settled.

Hmm... that makes things a little different. How old are they exactly? Some hens lay later than usually, sometimes until they're 7 - 8 months. I'm still wondering if a heat lamp would make a difference in a month or so, when the cold weather gets there.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Some breeds can take up to 30 wks to begin laying. The shortening of daylight hours is what causes a hen to stop laying. It will help if you put a light on a timer to come on around 4am. Chickens need 12-14 hrs of daylight to lay eggs. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom