Hello from Utah - Needing advice on pellet food

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by echipping, Sep 4, 2014.

1. echipping

echipping Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Hi there, my name is Emily and I am from Cottonwood Heights UT. I am new to raising chickens this year and have loved this site for all its advise! In my flock we have a Giant Blue Cochin (BlueBell), Americana (Pumpkin), Buff Orpington (Goldie), Silkie Bantam (Baby), and a Light Brahma (Oreo). They are currently 18 weeks and not laying yet but are pure joys to have. I recently switched them to a pellet feed with I want to say 16% protein or something and they have all stopped eating! Any advice? They are all old enough to be off the feeder grower but wont eat this new pellet food. They free range no problem and eat there busy block and treats but wont touch the pellets. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    My girls had crumbles as chicks and when I changed to layer feed, I kept with the crumbles. But did try a pellet feed one time, mixed crumbles 75%/pellets 25 % for a few days, then 50/50 then 100% pellets and the ate it.

Chickens don't accept change quickly. They have to eat, but can be finicky. If you really prefer pellets, get some crumbled feed to mix and slowly transition over.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Some chickens don't like pellet feed, some love it. I have found it is either a love it or hate it relationship. LOL You might try mixing the old crumbles in with the pellets to help get them used to the pellets. Mix both for about a month, constantly reducing the amount of crumbles in the mix.

Pretty soon you can get them on layer feed too.

You can also post this question in our Feeding and Watering Your Flock section for lots more input on this issue...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Good luck with your feed issue. I hope you can get this solved soon!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 all chickens like a different feed type. Some love pellets while others prefer crumbles. My flock hates pellets, refuses to eat it and scoops it out on the ground. They love their crumbles though.

Like Two Crows said, you should mix the two feeds for a bit to get them used to it. But if they still refuse it then you'll have to find a layer feed that comes in crumble size.

Good luck!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

You've received some excellent advice already from TwoCrows and MountainPeeps!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sometimes moistening the pellets a bit gets them to eat it.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG]

10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by