Hello from VA- we had 4 hens..turns out they are 3 hens & a roo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dmattenski, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dmattenski

dmattenski Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    HI, I'm new here. We have 4 hens...or so I thought. We discovered that we have 3 hens and a roo. We got our chickens from a guy off craigs list. He sounded like he knew his stuff, but I think we were lied to all around. The chickens were about 3 months old, so shouldn't he have been able to tell a rooster. Now we are concerned about the neighbors and him picking on the chickens.

Second, the guy said one had just laid an egg and that we should take her...turns out her beak is very messed up, and none have laid any eggs - they are now about 6-7 months old!

Any thoughts on either issue?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] So glad you have chickens..so sorry someone lied to you! As far as the Roo goes I dont know if you could tell then or not. About the beak if you post pics in the emergency/ disease part maybe someone can help you!

3. dmattenski

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks. I wanted to post a picture of the roo the day we got him, as well as the beak, but couldn't figure out how to post a picture to a message. Can someone walk me through this? Thanks.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Hi from SW VA. Where in VA are you?

To post a pic look in the header and find UPLOADS. Click there and you will be posting pics in no time. [​IMG]

5. dmattenski

Dec 16, 2009
    ok, did that, but how do I get them into a post?

6. Camelot Farms

Highlight the text in the bottom box under the pic and then cut it and paste it into the body of a message.

7. dmattenski

Dec 16, 2009
    ok....let's see if this works!
    [​IMG]

8. Camelot Farms

You got it!

9. dmattenski

Dec 16, 2009
    Woops! Guess I should reduced the size first!!!! This is my roo that was supposed to be a chicken. Can you tell at this age? Also, can someone tell me the breed? The guy told us she/he was a Rhode Island Red.

10. Camelot Farms

Nah, we like big pics!

There is a place for everything at BYC. There is a page just for chicken breed/gender ID and another for illness/emergency.

If you post there, you should get responses to your questions.

Enjoy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by