1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Vacationland :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cluck yeah, Apr 22, 2016.

1. cluck yeah

cluck yeah New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Maine
    Greetings from Maine!

My husband and I have 3 amazing boys who love the outdoors and eggs...they LOVE eggs haha. Who doesn't love fresh eggs?! One of the many reason why we'll be getting chickens. We're also recently first time home buyers and are excited for this next chapter in our lives. I've been doing a lot of research and absorbing as much info as I can on raising chickens. I'm excited to be a part of this forum and share our journey :) I look forward to picking your brains about different subjects or reading info on previous posts.

We're obviously a family of five and do a lot of cooking/baking. Plus have family that would like eggs too. How many hens would you suggest we get or start off with? Also, what do people do when they get chickens unsexed and end up with some unwanted roosters?

Take care,
    Jessie

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!
    As to your questions that depends on your living space and your budget! If you want over a dozen a week get 20-30 hens. If you have unwanted roosters probably other people would want it or you might eat it; either way is good![​IMG] Most hatcheries have the choice of sexed hens or roosters. Have a good time roaming the forum!

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest starting off with a few (maybe 6) pullets and then seeing how you go, but make sure that your coop plans will accommodate at least twice as many. You may wish to raise heritage breeds, which may not lay as regularly as commercial laying "breeds", or if eggs are you only requirement for your birds, then commercial ones are an option.

I'd suggest taking a look around this site and check out the Breeds Section. The greater variety of chicken breeds that you get initially will help you identify which breeds suit you best sooner.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. cluck yeah

cluck yeah New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Maine
    Thank you for your reply :)

6. cluck yeah

cluck yeah New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Maine
    Thanks for all the great info!! I'll definitely look up my state :)

7. cluck yeah

cluck yeah New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Maine
    Thanks!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jessie, glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. Even sexed chicks - are not 100% guaranteed, so you can still end up with some males. If you buy sex linked chicks - red or black sex links, the males and females are born different colors., which makes it a no brainer to know gender. BUT, sometimes the folks selling them don't know what the color differences should be and then you are stuck with males.

You might want to explore "sex links," by putting that in the search box.

9. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    X2!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by