Hello from Victoria, Australia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jojo8785, Oct 12, 2016.

1. jojo8785

jojo8785 New Egg

Hello,

I live in country Victoria (Australia) on a regular suburban block in town. I have had 3 backyard chickens for about 3 months. Linda, Tracey & Narelle - black, white, and blue bantam Australorps.

[​IMG]

They have a small coop but i let them free range in our backyard when i am home. We also have 2 cats, one is scared of them, the other tried to stalk them for the first few weeks then realised they weren't fussed by her so she got bored and stopped. She is still very jealous of them though and will pretend to eat their food if she wants my attention away from them :)

I do have a few questions that ill post in another thread, hopefully i'm in the right place for some help!

Jo

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! Great to have you on board!!!

I love your Australorps!!!! I can't seem to find any white ones here in WA!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jo and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Seems like you have some very contented girls - good for you.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your country thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

All the best
    CT

4. jojo8785

jojo8785 New Egg

Hi CT,

Thank you! Didn't expect replies so quickly :)

I've joined the Australia thread - thanks for sharing that.

I'll do some more searching across the forums.

Cheers,

Jo

5. jojo8785

jojo8785 New Egg

No white ones in WA? That's strange, i wonder why? They are as popular as black in Victoria. Blue is rarer to get a hold of here.

I had intended on getting black and blue only, but then i felt bad as there were so many white ones at the breeders farm, i decided i better get one of each colour.

You have some nice australorps there too!

Jo

6. jojo8785

jojo8785 New Egg

No white ones in WA? That's strange, i wonder why? They are as popular as black in Victoria. Blue is rarer to get a hold of here.

I had intended on getting black and blue only, but then i felt bad as there were so many white ones at the breeders farm, i decided i better get one of each colour.

You have some nice australorps there too!

Jo

7. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Thanks. Blue's and Blacks are pretty popular here. Splash's are found also but not nearly as easily and then whites are basically non-existent but oh well im happy with what i got

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :)

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! I love your Australorps. I only have Black ones, but your Blue looks very nice. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by