1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Victoria

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Silkie Mummy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Silkie Mummy

Silkie Mummy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Melboure
    Just a note to say hello. I have been a chicken mum for the past eight weeks now and I love every minute of it. Well, almost every minute. I am not too keen on mucking out the henhouse in the pouring rain, but luckily in Victoria, Australia it doesn't rain all that often. I have two Isa Browns (Fiona & Hazel) and two Silkies (Clover & Daisy). All but Hazel have recently started laying, now the wait is on for her to join the laying club as well.
    I am looking forward to being a part of this forum! [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hello Silkie Mummy! Isn't it way to early in the morning for anyone to be awake there? It is evening here in Massachusetts USA. I still have to tuck my four chickens into their coop yet.

Welcome to BYC - so glad you joined. So many of us here have tons of chicken experience, but several are like us, we have just a small flock and are new to chickens. I have learned SO MUCH from BYC. Glad you are here, and we are looking forward to hearing what it's like to raise hens in your (glorious) part of the world.

4. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from the other side of the planet. [​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington State

Congrats on being a new chicken mum

Imp

7. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Welcome, and congratz on the new eggies!

8. Silkie Mummy

Silkie Mummy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Melboure
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It looks llike my chicken family will expand soon. A collegue has asked me if my VERY broody Silkie daisy would like to hatch a couple (five) Isa Brown eggs for her. In our counsil we are only allowed five chickens, so when the chicks are old enough all but one of them would have to go to a new home. Still, it will make my little Silkie very happy in the mean time. And I am looking forward to the little ones as well. But... how do chickens cope with their adoptive little ones leaving the nest so to speak? Does anyone have any experience with that? I'd like to know before I give Daisy the eggs to hatch. Thanks in advance!

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]
    Aren't silkies so cute?!!

Did you get the eggs for your hen to hatch yet? It will make your hen so happy.

I have a silkie that goes broody all the time. A few months ago I gave her a 3 day old chick, she took to it immediately and was such a happy mama. It was the cutest thing. Her baby is now 6 months old, bigger than her, too.

I think if you keep one of the babies, it will be ok for your mama hen when the others leave the nest.

Good luck, what fun!

10. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    The Aussie invasion continues... Yay! WELCOME!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by