Hello from Virginia Beach!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BebeLapinouBlanc, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BebeLapinouBlanc

BebeLapinouBlanc In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] Hello! Soo very excited to start posting here! My name is Jes. I'm 26 years old and I LOVE CHICKENS! It's sadly become an obsession of mine and I have just been waiting for me to have the right property. (Hampton roads, specially the metro area aren't really "chicken friendly") I just recently acquired a 250+ year old farmhouse tucked away on 50+ acres. It already has 3 stables/ separate barns (about 13 stalls in all). I was also THRILLED to find it already had a chicken coop! I've been researching chickens for years and have plenty of experience bird-wise.....and animal-wise in general (I own and run a Pet Sitting business and have grown up around horses and all farm animals. Funny, considering I'm definitely a city girl.... but I love the country too!). I'm just soo very excited to finally be able to have chickens of my own![​IMG] Can you tell?? I already have plans to keep and breed Crevecouers, Houdans, and Marans......mainly focusing on the Crevies. (I'm half french....can you tell by my breed choices??[​IMG]) They shall be in the large coop and run/ small pasture close to the house. I also plan on keeping Silkies in a separate coop I will be keeping in my organic garden. So....before I compose a large novel I shall end with: "HI EVERYONE"

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. BebeLapinouBlanc

Aug 21, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. [​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you have a very nice place. Good luck [​IMG]

6. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chirping

Aug 20, 2011
    Virginia Beach! lol Will they let you have chickens? I grew up there and am now in Zuni. Welcome, I am new here also!

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hello and welcome! [​IMG] I lived in both Norfolk and Va. Beach years ago [​IMG] Sounds like you have a nice spread there [​IMG]

9. BebeLapinouBlanc

Aug 21, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Hi everyone!!!! You are all soo sweet in making me feel welcome. Makes me happy! [​IMG]

As to it being legal...... if you could hear me chuckling well.....yeah.... hahaha. My place has been established here for quite some time *in the works to get it on the Nat'l Historic Regs* so in many aspects the land and property has been "grandfathered" for certain things. I'm pretty tucked away in the middle of everything believe it or not (oceana/ general booth area) though you'd never know that this place existed.... nor would you feel like you're even in Virginia Beach. (I've been to Zuni a few times, pretty [​IMG] ) There are horses, bunnies, donkeys, ect ect already here.........About the chickens being legal....well.... that's kind of up in the air to be honest..... so I'd guess I'm a sort of an "outlaw" hehehe. I do know there's a strong group of people advocating for it to be more legal in Hampton Roads but we shall see.....seeing as you are familiar with the area you are probably quite aware that they never want anyone to do ANYTHING without guff!

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend so far!!!

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chirping

Jun 11, 2011
    Lucky!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by