Hello from Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Fan Dan, May 13, 2010.

1. Chicken Fan Dan

Chicken Fan Dan New Egg

May 13, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Hi,
    I have been lurking around here for awhile but since my first hatch was successful last night I thought I would join and introduce myself. I have had chickens for the last couple of years. It started as one that the neighbor left behind when they moved. I went and rescued her (Rhode Island Red) and she came with a free barn kitten that followed her back to the house. Apparently the chicken (Which my 4 year old daughter at the time named Strawberry) and the kitten were friends. Both the barn cat and that chicken are gone. But since we have experimented with Guineas, but they fly too good and don't stick around so I donated them to the neighborhood after their second escape. I went back to Rhode Island Reds which stick around the yard. I lost a few to preditors, and car strikes in the road. (I have actually seen hawks swoop down on them but they were unsucessful). After picking up 6 Bantams at Tractor Supply, I thought why not try to hatch some of my own eggs. One Hovabator with turner and 3 weeks later, presto 5 new chicks. I put 4 fresh eggs laid that day in the incubator and grabbed one out of the fridge as an experiment. I wasn't very good at maintaing the temp at exactly 100F usually it was colder around 95F, but I guess it's not rocket science because all 5 hatched last night. I use a laundry wash tub (plastic utility tub) and a heat lamp to raise the chicks. It works really well, and is just the right height for humans.

I look forward to talking with y'all.

Dan

2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Hello and [​IMG] From Ga.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Dan! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

4. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome! I'm from VA myself.

5. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined up. What a great success story. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] from Tennessee!!

9. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!!! Lots of great knowledge here.

Good luck!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by