Hello From Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wintryamythyst, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Wintryamythyst

Wintryamythyst New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Galax, Va
    Hi all ,
    I have been wanting chickens for a few years now since I bought my first house on an acre in the Appalachian Mountains here in the south western part of Virginia. Moved here from the suburbs of Philadelphia so I know NOTHING about chickens.

Oh and I had 4 hens given to me just today. I was told 3 weeks ago the previous owners needed a home since they were going to Florida and luckily my father quickly built a custom chicken coop for me and I fenced in an area about 6ft. x 8ft. for them.

I have been reading posts from here scrambling to learn as much as I could in a short time. Thank You all for all the informative posts. I think I have everything set up pretty well thanks to it all :) Though I still have many questions :p

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

feel free to ask away, that (and just taking care of them) is how you learn.

3. Wintryamythyst

Wintryamythyst New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Galax, Va
    Thank you, The biggest question I have is, If you feed them laying pellets and scratch is giving them oyster shells still important?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you should offer some source of calcium "free choice" to them. if they are getting plenty of green grass they usually wont eat much oyster shell. hens require alot of calcium to keep eggs covered, and for bone development.

most stores like TSC and Rural King carry oyster shell in small 5lb or so bags. for just a few chickens that will last you a while.

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Layer mash or pellets have plenty of calcium in it, you can supplement with some oyster shell if you want , but not absolutely necessary.
    Welcome and enjoy from the Northern Neck, Virginia.
    Steve. :frow

1 person likes this.
  8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    layer mash (corn type mix made by a feed mill, from a feed concentrate) usually does not contain enough calcium, most pellets are sufficient but a little low. if you notice thin shells then its time to add calcium.

keep in mind calcium can ruin fertility in roosters, thats why there usually isnt enough in the feed.

9. Wintryamythyst

Wintryamythyst New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Galax, Va
    Thank you, looking forward to this new experience !

10. Wintryamythyst

Wintryamythyst New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Galax, Va
    O.k. gotcha ;) so I will need to buy some, but basically don't need to worry about them dying in the next week for not having any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by