Hello from Virginia :)

AngelinaH

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
Winchester Virginia
So glad I found this forum! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing my experiences with you.
I am a novice gardener doing raised beds this year. Last year I did rows and I didn't fair so well. So I took my approx 80x40 garden and put 34 - 4x4 raised beds in. I have about 3 foot walkways, ground cover and completely mulched (courtesy of the electric company from last year) I am determined to not let the weeds get the best of me this year! We also have been spending the last few weeks building a coop next to the garden for several beneficial reasons. Chicken dung is awesome for the garden and now it is close by. We also built a chicken tunnel all the way around the perimeter of the garden and this serves as our bug control. In the non growing season we will open the tunnel and let the chickens have all the space in addition to their regular pen and duck pond we put in for the malard and yellow duckling we just got a few weeks ago. We also have grown this year from 4 to 21 chickens. I swear those chicks are like potato chips, you just can't get one. Lol
This year we have planted
Tiger melons (cantaloupe)
Beans- purple,green and pintos
Peppers- banana,jalapeno,sweet and rainbows
Tomatoes- purple, mortgage lifters, beef steak, and cherries
Cabbages
Potatoes
Cucumbers pickling
Brussels sprouts
Pumpkins- small and large
Watermelons -sugar babies and a larger variety
Corn- sweet white and yellow
Squash- yellow breakneck, zucchini, and butternut
Spinach
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Broccoli
And something new I am trying is Virginia Peanuts! I'm not sure how this is going to turn out but I'm giving it a whirl.

My hobbies also include winemaking,sewing and crochet.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, you sure planted all the good veggies! Do you can your produce? I used to do a lot of canning. Nothing better than eating your harvest all winter long!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

Hi TwoCrows, thank you for such a warm welcome! Yes I do can, and I also am fond of the blanch and freeze method, when I am short on time. This year I am going to attempt making pickled watermelon rind. I hear it is a true delight. :)

frow.gif
Nice to meet you Angelina, wow, you have a lot of things on your plate, when you do find the time to do anything? I love picking veggies but, not all the labor that goes into growing them. Raised beds are the way to go - I used to do them because bending is too painful. Welcome to Backyard chickens, would love to see photos of your birds (what breeds do you have?) and your raised garden beds. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hi TwoCrows, thank you for such a warm welcome! Yes I do can, and I also am fond of the blanch and freeze method, when I am short on time. This year I am going to attempt making pickled watermelon rind. I hear it is a true delight.
smile.png
I have heard of pickled watermelon rinds. But I have never tried them! Let me know how they turn out!
smile.png

these are my 1 year olds. They are spoiled rotten, but very sweet girls. They have me rapped around their feathers. Two of them squat and let me give them back massages. Lol

Back
Top Bottom