Hello from VT

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by therev, Aug 10, 2013.

1. therev

therev New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Hello, I am new to this site, and new to raising chickens. I have 12 rhode island red/sex link pullets, one unknown yellow layer, and an all black silkie. The silkie and yellow hen were both laying eggs occasionally, but now they have seemed to stop as of a week ago. This came after the silkie went broody, and sat on three eggs for two weeks then abandond them. Could someone point me in the right direction?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Patience. They will lay again. Hens periodically take a break for one reason or another.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, therev, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I always defer to the expertise of sourland so I'll jut wish you well!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] silkies are not known to be layers. They are usually valued as broodies. Your silkie may have walked away from the eggs because she was inexperienced, OR she could sense they were not fertile. If she goes broody again, you can slip ANY breed fertile eggs under her. That way you could bring new breeds into your flock the easiest way.

If you hens don't have access to a rooster, none of your eggs will be fertile.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by