Hello from VT

vtwattles

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 8, 2015
Vermont
This is my first flock. I have 4RIR hens & 1 rooster & 3 black sex link hens. Thanks to members posts I figured out my rooster had frost bite on his comb. This morning at a balmy 21 degrees with fresh new 6"of snow we successfully applied Vaseline to the flock & rewarded them with some grapes.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about the frost bite. Make sure your birds aren't sleeping in the rafters as this is where all the moisture hangs out and you have 3/4 to 1 square foot of vent space in your eaves to let all the moist air out that is produced by all the pooping and the breathing.

As Sourland has mentioned, I hope spring comes quick to your territory!! :)

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear your roo has frostbite. Great advice there for you from TwoCrows, this is also a nice article all about frostbite https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbite
Hope you find it as useful as I did it was a great help to me.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock in the cold weather and enjoy BYC, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster's frostbite.
hugs.gif
I hope he doesn't get any more and your hens stay healthy, too!

Thank you all for the great info. Headed out again to shovel another path to them. It is still snowing. My flock seems to appreciate a path so they can come out for a little exercise.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm sorry about your rooster's frostbitten comb, but it sounds like you did a good job treating it. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
After Valentine's Day, I just convince myself it is spring, no matter what. A lot of our springs, are cold, raw and windy - so who can tell the difference

Back
Top Bottom