Hello from west central WI!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rexannastar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. rexannastar

rexannastar Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    west central WI
    Hi all, I'm brand new to chickens, although I admit to lurking around here for quite some time. I've learned so much! I've got the coop set up and (hopefully) varmint-proofed, have researched feeding and health concerns, and considered how to weather the winter. All that's left is to take the leap and bring home some birds. (I am not ready for hatching chicks. I have great respect for those of you who do!) I've had animals all my life, but I'm a little worried I won't know how to choose hens that are a good fit. Does anyone have any good advice? Looking to just have 2 or 3 layers, but they'd mostly be pets. Thanks all!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

for personalities i love cochins, but they tend to go broody - hens dont lay when they are broody.

for dual purpose i like plymouth rocks and rhode island reds, some RIR roosters can be ornery.

for just egg layers, its hard to beat a golden comet or black sex link for brown eggs. for white eggs ideal white leghorns.

for looks, polish-small eggs ok layers, silkies-small eggs poor layers, or frizzles-varies but usually poor layers.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you are planning to make them house pets (some people do), you might consider Silkie pullets. They seem to adjust well to it and enjoy the luxuries that go along with it.

They are not reliable layers but will certainly keep you entertained. There is a thread on BYC about house pet chickens. You could still have them spend time outdoors in a secure run.

4. rexannastar

Aug 24, 2013
    west central WI
    Thank you so much! I was thinking sex links might be a safe bet, or RIR. I have a friend with silkies, and yes, they sure are entertaining! I will check out the house pet thread. I had not even considered that, but now I'm curious....

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

My buff orpingtons are dog like following me around while I do chores very friendly, good layers and do well in the cold, my white leghorns are the best layers winter or summer they all give me an egg a day, my silkies are poor layers and good pets but go broody often and the don't do well in the cold. Good luck
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

6. rexannastar

Aug 24, 2013
    west central WI
    Thank you! I have heard that Buff Orpingtons do well in the winters, so how do sex links and RIR compare? It can get pretty cold here.

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

They are all (sexlinks, rir and buff orpingtons) about equal, the buffs are more friendly

8. rexannastar

Aug 24, 2013
    west central WI
    good to know - thanks!

9. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! glad you joined BYC! :~D

10. sumatra lover

sumatra lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Maryland
    I have a good many of chickens. My husband and I started with a white Rhode Island rooster with a Rhode Island white hen and 2 brown Rhode Island Red hens. They were good egg layers for a while And the one red hen we had turned really mean to our other hens & actually hurt our white one. we eventually had to get rid of them but I have come to see that sex links are very good laying chickens. We have a white speckled banham hen that loves to lay every other day and actually makes nests all over our farm, my toddler loves the fact she makes it like an Easter egg hunt lol. I also have two barred rocks, my oldest lays very large eggs and I also have a Cochin that lays very good as well and they make excellent egg hatchers. Our seabrite is a wonderful chicken to have and with those hens that are small at an adult age are very flighty and if they ever feel in danger they could easily avoid it due to their size.. I have an olive egger, a pair of Sumatras, a beautiful black copper maran rooster that is very protective of our hens that are with him and a good mixture of others. All of our chickens turned into wonderful pets and they defiantly treat us well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by