Hello from [west of Atlanta] Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbiagreen, Feb 9, 2011.

1. suburbiagreen

suburbiagreen New Egg

Feb 9, 2011
    Hello from [west of Atlanta] Georgia (also known as Powder Springs/Douglasville.) We are a young couple in our first home in Powder Springs. We just have a wee bit of acreage (1/2 acre) surrounding our home that we hope to make as workable as possible. We joined BYC to gain more information about, well, BYC and to see if it is something we could do on our own and with the space that we have at our home. We have some garden spots set up that we are currently building boxes for, and we wanted to see if we could add BYC to our home that we call "Suburbia Green."

We have some things to take into consideration though:

While we have an 8 ft privacy-fenced backyard that would help to keep potential BYC safe, we do have two dogs (inside dogs) that would love nothing more than moving prey. We don't want to stress our chickens out, and we want to keep them safe (from our dogs and other predators including stray dogs) by keeping them contained in a coop/henhouse set up in the 8 ft fenced yard. I was thinking of creating a corner just for them and possibly adding another gated area to keep them separate from overly-nosey dogs. (Our dogs also have great "leave its" and boundary markers, but c'mon...hopping around moving prey?

Noise concerns. I had a friend tell us that if we have two hens and no roosters, then noise wouldn't be a concern.

Heat exhaustion. It gets hot in Georgia.

Egg layers only: species suitable? Buff Orpington?

I'm sure all of these questions and considerations can be answered elsewhere on the forum, and we hope to expand our knowledge as much as possible. I have raised chickens in the past, but those were on a large farm owned by folks no longer in our lives (*cough* ex-spouse *cough*) so I am familiar with proper nutrition and basic care as well.

Looking forward to learning quite a bit!

Shelby

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Build your coop and run like it was Ft Knox. I know about heat and humidity, I live at the opposite end of the state lol. Just make sure they have shade, plenty of cool water and rig a fan up if you can. Provide them with chilled watermelon or cabbage... they'll love that. There are other things you can do, the ones I mentioned are what I did last summer during our record heat. If you provide these things for your chickens, they will survive.

3. suburbiagreen

suburbiagreen New Egg

Feb 9, 2011
    No worries about Ft. Knox. Our dogs don't dig, etc. and even if they did, we had planned on burying our coop fencing a good foot below ground as well. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about reducing the stress on the hens.

We have family in Southwest Georgia. I feel your pain on the heat/humidity. We don't visit between the months of May and September - lol.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Eastern Ga. Near Augusta. I agree with the above post. I have RIR's. They did really well last summer. Lot's of water and shade. Good luck. Will issue a warning. Beware raising chickens is addicting. [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Seattle, Washington (Where heat and humidity is not a problem- thankfully)

Glad you joined us chickeneers

Imp

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a cold and snowy Ohio.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] ! I have buff orpingtons along with a few other breeds, and they all do fine in the heat as long as they have water, shelter, and food, just like the others said.

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

9. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    [​IMG] from Wv. [​IMG] Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by