Hello from Westchester NY!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeyChickchicks, Nov 12, 2016.

1. HeyChickchicks

HeyChickchicks Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    Westchester County NY
    Hi everyone! I'm so grateful for all the information on this website. I have 4 hens: Rhode Island Red, barred rock and 2 EEs. Got them as 6 wk pullets in June from MPC. They should be around 7 mos old now but still no eggs!! I wonder if it's because of the shorter days and colder weather now. Do you think at this point I need to wait til spring?

Anyway they're happy and spoiled. And my kids love playing with them.

Right now I'm trying to make the bucket feeder and waterers I saw on here so we'll see how that goes!

2. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Hi HeyChickchicks, and [​IMG]!!!!! So glad to have you on the site, and I hope you find it useful.
    I thinks it's funny because I also have a barred rock, and easter eggers from MPC. They are all my little babies, but they aren't laying either. I kind of have the same question as you, because I am still waiting and waiting for one of my girls to lay that first egg.

-BlueJuniper

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Waiting for a hen to lay her first egg is probably the most frustrating part of keeping chickens. I guess patience is the name of the game, but yes, I'd imagine shorter days may well be delaying the onset of laying.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Shorter days certainly can trigger some hens to slow down or stop laying. If any of yours are molting that also stops them. Some folks add extra light with coop lights on timers, to go on for some time and go off at sunrise. Then go on for more time after the chickens are back in their coop at dusk. However, if they lay eggs now (when they would be resting) they will run out of eggs earlier in their lifetime.

5. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best wishes to you and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you make yourself at home here!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Double post---------------

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by