Hello from Western Mass

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweeper, Oct 16, 2014.

1. sweeper

sweeper New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Hills of Western Mass
    I have an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon of an established organic egg farmer's production. She has orders for more egg then she currently can produce. We've talked about starting a Community Egg Hub to supply her orders. I'm planning on working my way up to a flock of 36 organic free range chickens, breed(s) as yet to be determined. My wife and I had planned to have chickens in the future but this opportunity has pushed the time table forward.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you want your efforts to be financially profitable, you'll need to raise (even free ranging) the kind of high yield, egg laying machines that commercial laying farms use. That means White Leghorns for white eggs and Black or Red Sex Links for brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Community Egg Hub.

4. sweeper

sweeper New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Hills of Western Mass
    It is a great site, I've looked thru the first 50 pages of Coop pics, 10 pages of Coop Tips and added Buckeyes to my list of possible birds, not a bad first night.

5. Ashley Stroud

Ashley Stroud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Welcome to the flock! So much great info and wonderful chicken folks here! Best of luck with the Egg Hub and keep us posted! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope your business venture is very successful [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you! Strange, I was in the same position a few years ago, except I was the person talking others into getting chickens to help me supply the local demand for free range eggs... We ended up with a group of egg sellers and we never quite met the demand. I see you've got Buckeyes on your list for layers. Though I do not have any myself, I do have friends that keep and breed them and found them to be simply wonderful. I would definitely recommend them! They are good egg layers, friendly, hardy, thrives in a free range environment... and when they are "spent" apparently they make good eating too [​IMG] We have a thread with some good info and reviews on the breed here that you may enjoy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803253/the-buckeye-thread/2940_30#post_14219539

Enjoy the site and please keep us posted on your venture!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your project!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your project!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by