1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Western Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mkwilliams18, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mkwilliams18

mkwilliams18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Hello I can't wait to learn more about byc and connect to people

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard with us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

3. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

I am sure if you look through the different Trends of BYC you will find something you are looking for . [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This is your big chance [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens - glad you joined the flock.

5. mkwilliams18

Apr 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thank you

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here! Do you have poultry of some sort now? If so, tell us about them!

7. mkwilliams18

Apr 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    This year we got out first chicken now a month old. There is two golden comets and three Rhode Island reds. They are almost fully feathered and look nothing like the lite fluff balls they were. The family is already in love with them with the exception on of our dog Diezel who sees a chicken nugget meal. We have a coop fixed up for them but it has been to cold outside lately. Next working a fenced in space for them. What about yourself?

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have a mixed flock of 9:
    3 red sex links
    2 Speckled Sussex
    3 Barred Rocks
    1 Rhode Island Red

Now that the days are getting longer, I'm getting about 6-8 eggs per day...plenty for just my husband and myself. Love those fresh eggs!

9. mkwilliams18

Apr 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I heard the eggs were the best and so much healthier then store bought. Do you have a favorite chicken breed or favorite from your flock? We starting with just the five till later because we can only have nine where we live but I could see this quickly becoming an addiction. They are little characters. What about you flock any comedian in your flock?

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have enjoyed all the breeds I've had so far (except for the Black Australorps that I re-homed). Hard to choose but I'd say the red sex links and the SS are the ones I'd definitely have again.

You want to talk character, lol, here's my Freddie:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1094175/freddie-the-rsl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by