Hello from western New York (by Lake Erie)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by christine4, Jul 26, 2011.

1. christine4

christine4 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    I found BYC about a month ago when I was frantic about an increasingly red neck on one of our newish chicks. Got great advice, but never got around to diving in to the forums. So... we moved to a place in the country about 5 years ago, 11 acres with fruit trees, lots of vegetable garden space, and an empty chicken coop. The first spring we got a few 'adolescents' from some neighbors, which got picked off over the years by predators. Even really locking down the coop at night, raccoons kept managing to find ways in.
    We currently have a gorgeous cuckoo maran rooster who is very tame and sweet, but also very protective of his girls, a maran hen, and two easter egg mixes. We ordered 11 chicks from the local mill store a couple of months ago. I am love with them! as they were getting bigger, we separated them into two bins for a couple of weeks before they all went into the coop, now they range like they are two separate tribes, keeping those bonds.
    We are waiting and hoping for a merge with our Roo and his 3 girls, but so far they are just circling and eyeing each other as they make their rounds.
    We have two grown kids and a grandson, two brown dogs who co-mingle with the chickens really well and work full time about 40 miles from our home. I love being outside, working in the garden, listening to the chickens clucking and chattering. Wish it could be a full time life.
    So happy to have found these fellow chicken lovers and a place for so much great information and support - you all are terrific!
    Christine

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome aboard from Kansas! [​IMG] Hope you got the coop predator proofed - hate to see you lose any more!!

3. christine4

christine4 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks! We live trapped raccoons two nights in a row. now we have locks and bolts everywhere. Hadn't realized that critters could pry open the bottom of locked doors and squeeze in that way. Put a 2x4 that locks across the front bottom and no problems since.... I will never think raccoons are cute again!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Michigan!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Quote:They are extremely good at what they do. Be vigilant!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by