Hello from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smallfarmnorth, Jan 9, 2013.

1. smallfarmnorth

smallfarmnorth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    I' am new to BYC and also to raising chickens. I find this site very informational and love it. I do have one question when it comes to medicated or non for starter chicken feed. is it critical to use medicated for preventing other diseases? if chick's that I buy come vaccinated should I still use medicated feed? This topic is touched on lightly on this site but since alot of you are experts in this field I would like to know your opinions. thanks for any help

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, smallfarmnorth, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You will find opinions going both ways on that question. You might try typing in a search on the search bar. Try: medicated or unmedicated. That will get you a lot of past discussions that might help you with your choice. Good luck to you!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I don't have chickens so I can't give personal experience but you may get more responses in the "Raising Baby Chicks" section.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined.

Medicated Starter Feed given to chicks can help prevent Coccidiosis if your chicks are introduced to soil. There is no vaccine for Coccidiosis so getting your chicks vaccinated wont do anything towards it but a different disease (Mareks Disease). Medicated Starter Feed can only prevent Coccidiosis, no other diseases.

I used Medicated vs non-medicated and Im really glad i did.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] fromm washington state glad you joined us!

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from the soggy side of Washington State.
    [​IMG]

Yes you need to use medicated feed for no less than the first couple of weeks. The vaccines are for things like Marreks and such. The chicks have no immunity to things like Salmonella and other bacterias, so the medicated feed helps them get past the first weeks of danger.

8. mommamarsh

mommamarsh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Welcome from Kentucky! Best wishes for your new adventure.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Willow's post was exactly right. And medicated does not mean antibiotics. Instead the feed has a niacin (amino acid) restrictor which makes it hard for coccidia to multiply, it does not actually kill them, just limits their number. So birds are able to develop natural immunity. Birds kept in confinement are more likely to be exposed to large numbers of parasites, so medicated feed is a good way to limit illness and death without any risk to you or your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by