Hello from Womelsdorf Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Coconut Nugget, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Coconut Nugget

Coconut Nugget Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    HI everyone -

I have been on this site doing my research for months, but never signed up. I find all the info here so helpful for me and my new Chicken owning journey.

In June 2012 I adopted 4 Silikie Chicks - 1 Partridge, Black, White and Grey. Names - Coconut, General Tso, Molly and Nugget.

I absolutely love my chickens and they are all spoiled rotten - I am a HUGE pet lover with 3 dogs, 5 cats and 2 hamsters - oh and lots of fish as well.

Each of us in my family picked our our own chick. Turns out 3 are Roosters and only 1 is a Hen (Nugget) who happens to be mine. So my daughters white silkie named Molly is now Mr. Molly - lol.

My 3 roosters seem to get along fine, for now, and I have not seen any fighting among them. Nugget is currently in my kitchen in a cage due to her getting Coccidiosis after being diagnosed at a vet visit when I noticed her not feeling good. Taking a chicken to the vet was probably one of the strangest things I have even done.

She is doing ok, much better since she has been on medicine and is a lot more alert than when I brought her in. She is still not out of the woods because I have to make sure she eats and drinks since I have not seen her eat on her own yet. I will not put her back out until I see she is eating on her own.

So that is my story - OH and I am looking to obviously add more hens to my crew - I do not want too many and I know the ratio should be about 10 hens to 1 rooster, but I want to try adding in another 3 for now and see how it goes. If I get eggs that is a bonus, but I love them as pets more than a food source. So if anyone is local to me and wants to sell or get rid of a few hens let me know.

I look forward to chatting with other chicken lovers out there!!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your sick chicken! Have you medicated the others as a preventative? You can get medicated chicks starter that helps prevent coccidiosis and a little Apple Cider Vinegar in their drink water also helps prevent it. Best of luck with your 3 roosters. Hopefully they'll stay friends [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Coconut Nugget, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock. Really interesting group of birds you have there - good luck to you!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, and Welcome to BYC!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by