Hello from Woodinville, WA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DavidGG, Aug 19, 2011.

1. DavidGG

DavidGG New Egg

Aug 19, 2011
    Hi. I've been reading the BYC site a bunch lately, and finally decided to sign up.

We got our baby chicks nearly 6 months ago: 8 pullets (2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks & 2 Ameraucanas) and 1 cockerel (Buff Orpington).

We got about 2 more than we thought we really wanted, expecting we would do something wrong and lose 1 or 2. But we got lucky, and they all made it.

Our big surprise was when one of the RIR pullets grew up to be a rooster!. Two roosters with only 7 hens between them seemed like a bad mix, plus the BO rooster was getting mean. Too bad for him - I got some practice processing a chicken, and the family had a nice dinner. The odd thing was that the RIR rooster had never crowed - but literally about 1 minute after we did the BO he started crowing like an old pro.

Almost a week ago, one of our BO girls went broody. We figured we have plenty of room in our coop, so we're seeing if she can hatch some of the other girls' eggs. There have been a few ups and downs with this, but with the help of some of the posts here at BYC, I think things will turn out OK.

I'm sure I'll be posting some newbie questions before long. I know this site has already helped a bunch!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello neighbor, I live in Monroe. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] From Mass!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome!
    I just know you'll have good luck with your broody and her upcoming additions! BO's are great birds.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp in Renton

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Good luck & hope you have a great hatch [​IMG]

8. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, DavidGG! Happy you joined our site! [​IMG] Best of luck with your birds!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by