Hello from WV new member post

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MartinsPoultry, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MartinsPoultry

MartinsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi my name is Christy, I am one of two who will be sharing this account. My fiance James Martin and I have started our own flock this year. First we started out with a little turkey who was a premature hatch, she didn't make it so we went and got seven more and more and more. My fiance and I are mainly doing this for eggs, and meat but on the sideline we are also planning on donating as much as we can over the next few years to the homeless shelters around us in meals and eggs. All birds will be free ranged unless on predator lock down, we have had quite the scare this passed week with a large bobcat. Right now we are about to build a duck house out of pallets next to our turkey coop so that i may run a light from both barns, right now we are in the process of a see no touch with the turkeys, chickens and guineas, so far so good aside from my wellsummer(we think but not sure) hen acting all tough with my oldest Narragansett hen (I hope a hen) but with a slap of her wing Anya behaves. Last night was our first out of the cage introduction and no one seemed phased, I think my turkeys dislike all the racket the guineas make and leave them alone.

We are planning on expanding our flocks next year as we make a larger space for them that connects to a 18ft x 24ft garden plot for end of the harvest pickings. They will have a huge run along the backside of my gardening area and along the side with a large enough coop to accommodate them all. We have a large 2 acre yard, where they can roam and eat pests off my growing orchard in my front yard and the countless ticks that we get from the deer that roam wild.

Our current list of poultry

7 Narragansett
    Yulon aka Poopy bird
    Arthas
    Sylvanas, oldest of the Narragansett
    LiLi
    Screamer, bird hated us for the longest time
    Aysa
    Chromie, runt and pet

1 Sweetgrass
    Penny Pancakes

2 Chickens
    Wellsummer - Anya
    Brahma cross - Maple

4 Guinea fowl
    Charlie, head cockerel - Alpha bird
    Blue - Second in command cockerel
    Echo, unusually quiet hen
    Delta, omega loudest mouth of all

4 Muscovy Ducks
    Everest - Drake, black and white piebald
    Skyline - Hen, black and white piebald
    Denali - Hen, blue atipico dusky
    Nibbie - Hen, Blue barred only showing on chest for now

Our future list
    Bourbon Reds
    Narragansetts again
    Muscovy
    Indian Runners
    Guineas
    Wellsummers
    Brahams
    Easter Eggers
    Geese
    and a few Peafowl
    Goats
    feeder hogs

[​IMG] Chromie
    [​IMG] Arthas, young jake
    [​IMG] Most of the flock sunbathing
    [​IMG] Our sweet grass hen
    [​IMG] Charlie and Blue
    [​IMG]
    Left to right
    Maple, Echo
    Anya, Delta

[​IMG]
    Left to right
    Nibbe, Denali, Everest, Skyline

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Nice flock and [​IMG]!

3. MartinsPoultry

Thank you

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. MartinsPoultry

Thank you Redsoxs, I enjoy having the assorted crew. And thanks for the awesome links I will go check them out right away!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Christy

Glad you could join us here! What a lovely mixed flock you have there. I have really enjoyed looking at your pics :D Wishing you the very best with your expansion plans in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

7. MartinsPoultry

Thank you Yorkshire Coop!
    Im happy to be here, my fiance and I have browsed the site for a while and finally decided to dive and and join the fun. Thank you again for the best wishes for the future flock and on the current photos of my flock now. I'm hoping to snag a few this evening (weather permitted) of my Guineas, Chickens and Turkeys commingling in the yard for a while. Guinea's wings need clipped though last thing I want is a Guinea or two on my roof.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chicken flock. The guinea folks sure know how they like to perch HIGH up, usually the highest branches in a tall tree.

9. MartinsPoultry

Thanks glad to be apart of such a huge community.

That they do, I know that from a local duck breeder who has ducks and guineas as well as chickens and turkeys, she has to coop hers at night due to them not returning.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi Christy, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I loved reading your intro, and seeing the pictures of all your lovely birds. Sounds like you've got quite the setup! Thanks for joining us, and wishing you the best of luck with all your poultry dreams!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by