Hello! Future Homesteader Here

Wolfstead

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
Texas
Hello! My husband and I are currently in the city (where they don't allow chickens...booo
1f44e.png
) but we have 100 acres that we are going to be moving out onto in the next few years. It has nothing at all out there right now so we are going to have to build everything. (as cheaply as we can) We are going to be starting a homestead and growing as much of our food as possible and being as self sustaining as we can be. We are going to be in the middle of nowhere, though still in driving distance (an hour or 2) from town, so we want to have lots of plants and animals so we don't have to buy our food from the store. We will be moving out there with some friends and family too so we'll have lots of help, but also lots of mouths to feed. We want a large flock of good duel purpose chickens and some guineas too. And I also want a very small flock (5 or so) of silkie bantams just for fun.
1f60a.png
(They would be separated) And plenty of other animals too. We have never done this before so we are trying to do all the research we can so we know at least for the most part, what we are doing when we get out there. Once we move out there, there's no going back so we are trying to acquire all the knowledge we can now. Of course I know that a lot of it will be learning through experience, but the more we know before hand,the better. I've read a lot already but first hand accounts and experience are invaluable. So any tips and tricks or advice would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens. Wow, that is certainly a large project for the future. I live on the grid and many on BYC do not. Hopefully some of them will see your post and give advice on how they "did it."

Thanks! Yeah, it is a big project for sure. But we are determined. We hope it can be in the next 3 to 5 years that we get out there. But it may be more. We're in it for the long haul though so if it takes a while, that's OK. We're currently growing some food, what we can anyway, here in our backyard, but we don't have much space. But we're not far from our land so we're going to try to build and put as much out there before we move. It'll be a culture shock for sure, but it's totally worth it.

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like you're excited and are doing some good homework before you start. Do you garden now? Knowing how to grow a lot of your own food (and how to can or preserve it) will be important. Are hunting or fishing possibilities? Raising meat rabbits might be a good protein source for you. There are so many different topics to cover, you might find it helpful to try this BYC forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16177/diy-self-sufficiency

BYC also has a sister site called SufficientSelf.com that might be helpful: https://www.sufficientself.com

Best of luck to you, it's nice to have you here!

G’Day from down under Wolfstead
frow.gif
Welcome!

Wishing you all the best!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Awesome! Thank you so much NFC. Yes we're gardening now and are growing a lot of veggies and some fruits, though we're limited on space. Unfortunately we can't have any livestock yet, which is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them. Once we are out there, we plan on having chickens, goats, pigs, guineas, and hunt for deer. I'm not sure I could do rabbits. Call me a wuss, but they're just too cute. Lol We are also going to have a large pond that will feed an aquaponics system and have a few types of fish. We currently have a small aquaponics system set up and are going to be doing tilapia this year. (We only have feeder gold fish and minnows in it now, but they have been in it for a year now with no issues) We also plan on canning and learning how to preserve a lot this year too. I'll definitely check out those pages cuz we have a lot to learn. Again, it's gonna be a while, but the more we can learn beforehand, the better.

Awesome! Thank you so much NFC. Yes we're gardening now and are growing a lot of veggies and some fruits, though we're limited on space. Unfortunately we can't have any livestock yet, which is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them. Once we are out there, we plan on having chickens, goats, pigs, guineas, and hunt for deer. I'm not sure I could do rabbits. Call me a wuss, but they're just too cute. Lol We are also going to have a large pond that will feed an aquaponics system and have a few types of fish. We currently have a small aquaponics system set up and are going to be doing tilapia this year. (We only have feeder gold fish and minnows in it now, but they have been in it for a year now with no issues) We also plan on canning and learning how to preserve a lot this year too. I'll definitely check out those pages cuz we have a lot to learn. Again, it's gonna be a while, but the more we can learn beforehand, the better.

Your plans all sound very exciting. I hope you'll post update periodically so we can hear how it's all coming along!

Back
Top Bottom