Hello, hatch date June 6th and can see light through egg completely.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Alluundra, May 29, 2019.

1. Alluundra

Alluundra In the Brooder

May 11, 2019
    Payette, Idaho
    We have not been able to see any veining at all and half the eggs we opened up no smell no blood at all! As they all look the same is it possible we bought all infertile eggs? Bought on eBay FYI. Up to the point of purchase only one neg review with same problem. Any help advice appreciated. The eggs were packaged amazingly and all arrived whole just not sure they are fertile.

Attached Files:

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    They don't look fertile ... You incubated, candled and never saw any veining? Hatch date was to be June 6? I'd contact the seller ...

WVduckchick likes this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Those are definitely infertile eggs. It's hard to judge eBay eggs...some sellers are good others very bad. I hate buying eBay eggs for that reason...I know I'm going to get some infertile eggs and the seller knows that they are sending infertile eggs but there is no guarantee on shipped eggs. Sorry you didn't have a good hatch. :hugs

4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The bigger the eggs are, the worse they handle shipping. In my opinion there is no way to determine whether or not the pictured eggs were infertile. Just because shipped eggs do not show any development during an incubation attempt does not mean they were infertile. Constant vibration during shipment or flying the hatching eggs at altitude in a non pressurized airplane can destroy fertile eggs in a manner that the eggs will never show any sign of development.

The condition of the yolk in the pictures looks like eggs that were ruined in shipment. This does not mean they were fertile to start with, just that there is no way to determine at this point whether or not they were fertile to start with.

5. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    I personally wouldn’t buy on eBay... I have bought through reputable sellers and all shipped well... so of my FIVE incubators full of eggs I’ve pulled less than 12 for not being viable... my “oldest” ones were set may 16th.. some may 26th...

Is your incubator set up properly?
    I let my eggs sit in an empty egg carton pointy end down for 24-36 hours before I set them. That was recommended by many of the sellers. Some said no egg turner for the first 2-3 days, but I only did that with 2 or 3 of my incubators.
    I have my temp at 99-101 read by a separate thermometer and hygrometer with humidity ranging from 40-55 (if it goes up I crack the lid to bring it down to 40)

6. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Ditto...
    I bought 36 eggs from ebay, and they arrived in really good condition, but only 2 hatched, so just about the whole lot must have been infertile. I'm never buying eggs from ebay again unless they are rare breed.

Only from farms...

007Sean likes this.
  7. Alluundra

Alluundra In the Brooder

May 11, 2019
    Payette, Idaho
    I've contacted the seller. We wanted a specific breed that we could find eggs only on Ebay. Oh well. Yes incubator set up right and monitored religiously. Guess try for a different breed but same problem no one around for 7 hour drive one-way sells anything other than Broad Breasted. We wanted Narragansett.

8. Alluundra

Alluundra In the Brooder

May 11, 2019
    Payette, Idaho
    This is what they look like candled and have looked the same since arrival. IMG_20190530_064513.jpg IMG_20190530_064713.jpg IMG_20190530_064513.jpg IMG_20190530_064713.jpg

9. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Sorry, doesn't look fertile.
    Looks like you were given infertile eggs???

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

I agree, it can't be said that they were not fertile when they left the shippers location. After shipping and partial incubation, only viability or non-viability can be determined.

HuffleClaw, ChickNanny13 and R2elk like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: