Hello! Hello! Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ladywolf, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ladywolf

ladywolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Greetings All!

I joined this forum some time ago in anticipation of getting chickens. I love chickens. Well, life took a far left turn and all my carefully laid plans went POOF! Now I am moving to a very nice farm that already has some chickens and am looking to get a small flock of my own. I particularly like Morans and Araucanas. I live in mid-NH but at a somewhat high altitude (when it is raining in town, it can be snowing at the farm!). I am looking for layers and not meat birds- I get too attached to my animals to slaughter them, and have I mentioned, I love chickens?

I have three horses, nine cats and a Husky. I work as a Veterinary Technician part time and do some people-training-for-horses, on the side.

I hope to learn much while here and share my love of chickens with people who won't think I am a complete whack-job [​IMG]

Kim in NH

2. bantamsrbest100

bantamsrbest100 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi!!

Welcome to BYC! I have only been a member for a few days and ive learnt soo much already!! Im hooked and totally obsessed, so much love for chickens!!!
    Enjoy from a fellow chicken lovin whack job!! :)

3. ladywolf

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Well met fellow whack-job! Glad to see I am no longer alone!

Kim in NH

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Maran's are great chickens and lay those beautiful dark eggs. The important thing is to remember to post a lot of pictures of them here on the forum - Because [​IMG] Who doesn't like chicken photos like we chicken keeping people...

And make sure you check out the part of the forum about keeping chickens in cold weather area. Remember good circulation of air but not drafty, wide roosts for warm chicken feet, under feathers react to cold by puffing up like those old down jackets that look like life preservers oh humidity build up can cause frost - frost causes frost bite and you should be in good shape. I live in Florida so our freezing days are few but we do have a couple.....once in a while....
    enjoy your chickens.
    Caroline

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ladywolf, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Good luck to you and your chickens and other critters!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Gee you say "whack job," like it's a bad thing.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. ladywolf

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    THANK YOU for the great tips. I am very nervous about raising young chickens over the winter! Billy (the Other Beat of My Heart) is very talented with building things, so I see a very nice coop in the near future. Any suggestions for a an excellent coop? It will have electric (protected). Should it be insulated? We have foxes, coyotes and fishercats so it will be a raised coop and chickens will be closed in at night.

9. ladywolf

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

10. ladywolf

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    LOL! No way! I proudly wave my freak flag! [​IMG] Of course not everyone appreciates my unique take on the world... Nice to greet you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by