1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello I am in deperate need of some ideas and clues.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kerri Ladybug, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Kerri Ladybug

Kerri Ladybug Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    My little girl (black silkie hen) is very sick and i have to decide her fate. I will describe her symptoms and if anyone has any guess of what this could be, or better, experience with this illness, please post. I need to help her. I have been researching for days for a solution.

She is one year and a half. She was sitting nicely on eggs for days, but got sloppy about it and then eventually quit. She was not wanting to eat. She has a lump under the eyes. I have been giving her Tetracycline meds in the water. she drinks. I noticed now she has a hard lump on her throat, not in. It is hard and about the size of a penny. I think it prevents her to eat solids. She breathes with the mouth open sometimes.

I have made her food into a powder and then make a mash. I syringe feed her, but it is a daunting task. Now i have found 3 big hard lumps the size of coins on the back of her neck and body under the feathers.

This chicken is my pet (i have 5 and she is separated right now from the rest). The rest are fine. Does this sound like tumors and/or cancer. Is it best to euthanize her or keep syringe feeding her. She walks around, but is getting thin. I think she may need to go bye bye. It will be difficult to cull her because she gets happy when she sees me, follows me and cries. But i cannot let her suffer if she will pass eventually anyway.

Also, what are some good culling methods that you use that are humane. I have 2 options i will do if need be. I look forward to some advice because i need to decide if she needs to be euthanized, which will be difficult.

Thanks.

Kerri

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the lumps are spreading.. i would say cull..

hatchet method or broomstick method would be the easiest.

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I'm not experienced in chicken diseases but for anyone else it sounds like cancer. Maybe some morphine or similar medication might ease her breathing and give her a chance to die comfortably.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Cancer doesn't spread that fast, maybe croup bound, but she's definetely in distress, and most likely will not last much longer, sorry you are going through this. Personally I don't like to let an animal suffer if I have the ability to end it's misery. I seriously doubt anyone in the usa would give you morphine for a chicken - that would just not happen.
    A tough decision for you to make, only you can make it. Poor little bird

5. Kerri Ladybug

Jul 15, 2011
    thank you for all these wonderful suggestions. It is difficult isn't it to know what it is without doing veterinary tests. I culled her last night, and honestly it traumatized me. I have never killed one of my pets before and i did not want to hurt her. But keeping her alive may have been hurting her too. She was a pet (i have 5 silkies) and she would get excited to see me(happy sounds and following me, sitting with me). Actually, sometimes she would cry really loud until i picked her up. She'd be so relaxed that her legs would hang when i held her. So imagine having to take a pet like this and then killing it.

It was a mercy death i called it. I made a home-made gas chamber that is humane for animals under 2 pounds and is humane. It's simple with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to make carbon dioxide which causes them to pass out and die without suffering.
    (too long to explain here).

I do like the broom sticking idea better because it's quicker and simpler. After she died i practiced this on her once to know how hard to pull without causing pain in case i do it wrong(my biggest fear). To be prepared in the future.

I am glad that someone else here thinks it's cancer. Of course it could not come that fast -i agree. She must have had it for a while because the bumps were well hidden under the puffy feathers. It was the one on the throat that i think was the main cause of her not being able to swallow solids after some time.

This was very traumatic for me because i heard a cry during the dying. I appreciate. ALL THE SUPPORT and great advices.

R.I.P. my little one [​IMG].

6. Kerri Ladybug

Jul 15, 2011
    Quote:thank you so much. I will check this out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by