Hello, I am new here and new to having chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MyDaisygirl, Aug 17, 2014.

1. MyDaisygirl

MyDaisygirl New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Hi everyone. My name is Kristin, I am a newbie to having chickens(guess I have had chickens for around 6 months or so) but I am really enjoying it. We have a small farm that we moved to almost a year ago. I have 3 Amerecana(sp) hens and a roo. Also 7 white leghorn hens, 2 Rhode island red hens and a roo. And last but not least 12 red cross hens.
    I started out with 5 chicks and with in a month or so we had lots. I work at a farm supply store and have several go to people I can learn from but I found BYC by Googling some questions a while back and it quickly became my go to for chicken questions. I finally decided to join and I look foward to learning lots from y'all!

Btw...I never realized how easily you can become attached to chockens. My screen name is after my pet chicken Daisy. :)

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC![​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Lots of us have joined on here because when ever you go looking for information, it always leads you here!

Cute avatar! Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. MyDaisygirl

MyDaisygirl New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    East Tennessee

Thanks! The avatar is my Daisy girl!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Daisy is actually an Easter Egger, rather than a true Ameraucana. Easter Eggers are produced by crossing Ameraucanas with other breeds to produce hens that lay eggs in different colors. There is a good article on the difference between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. MyDaisygirl

MyDaisygirl New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    East Tennessee
    :-( I thought Daisy was an Ameraucana!!! Darn Hatchery!!!! Oh well she is still my sweet Daisy girl! Thanks for the link, I will have some reading to do.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your birds, and remember, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Darn hatchery is right!! Isn't that what they used to call "bait and switch." Offer you one thing and send something else instead. You cannot imagine how many others have been ripped off this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by