1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello I am new to this site

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by newtochickens1983, May 13, 2011.

1. newtochickens1983

newtochickens1983 New Egg

May 13, 2011
    and wanted to say hello. [​IMG] My wife and I are just starting to get into keeping chickens. [​IMG] I have searched on the web, and I keep getting different stories from different sites/people. My question is if you are allowed to keep hens in Glendale, AZ? [​IMG] I have called the zoning office, and never got a call back.

I read that you MUST have a AG zoned lot, but also read that as long as they are "caged" and it doesn't smell, its ok..? We are looking into buying a house, and I don't think our realestate agent is too knowledgable on these requirements.

Any advice would be great! I thank everyone in advance for their help. Have a great weekend.

Matt

2. newtochickens1983

May 13, 2011
    Thank you for that.

I have seen that one before tho, and when i called the number, they said it has to be AG zoned lot, not a Residential. It doesn't say that tho on the site. This is lame. [​IMG] Its a bird for crying out loud.

Anyone out there have hens in glendale az not on an AG zoned land??

Matt

3. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    If your real estate agent can't look for houses based on zoning, she's worthless. Getting your hands on a zoning map, and finding neighborhoods still zoned AG shouldn't be terribly hard, though finding a home in those neighborhoods for sale will depend more on the local market. If you compromise a little on location, you could find a place for your chickens.

4. newtochickens1983

May 13, 2011
    Haha, i was thinking she was worthless as well [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! I wanted to welcome you and say I hope you find a place where you can have and enjoy chickens! They are such wonderful creatures! Nice to meet you!

6. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Welcome to BYC! When looking for houses, make sure you inquire about neighborhood HOA's and any rules associated with those. You might be in a city/zoned area that allows chickens, while the HOA restricts it. If that's the case, you'd be out of luck. You'd be surprised at how many houses with more than an acre of land still have restrictions on owning a couple of chickens!

7. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    You may need to go to the zoning office and bug them. Anyway [​IMG] from NC

8. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG] Arizona Newtochickens

From Maine.

[​IMG]