Hello I am Philsgirls

Philsgirls

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Cambridge, UK
I have had chickens for just over one year now and have four lovely ladies. I have 2 Marans and 2 goldlines all with their own personalities. The best looking one is Polly but my favourite is a little goldline called Henrietta, just because she is the smallest and cute.

I came across BackYardChickens when searching on the internet. It is really useful site. I purchased a few books on chickens and read a few more but none of them seem to have a complete guide to chickens and fail to tell you things you really need to know.

As well as keeping chickens in my garden I have an allotment where I grow my own fruit and veg. My daughter collects caterpillars off the cabbages and feeds them to the girls. I thought she may find this process a bit disgusting but has taken to the task and likes gathering food for our girls. My daughter shares the task of looking after the chickens and takes on the responsibility on the three days per week I work. You can also find her on many occasions out in the garden playing with the girls. I'm not too sure they appreciate playing school though!

We don't have any other pets at the moment but are planning on getting a puppy and long term my goal is to have a smallholding with cows, pigs and sheep as well as chickens. Oh I nearly forgot myself and my daughter both ride horses and would love our own. We would use them on our smallholding.

I look forward to many chats and sharing information with you all.

Philsgirls
In the Kitchen. Very cheeky girls!

Greetings from Kansas, philsgirls,and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and your birds!

welcome-byc.gif
My friend has 4 housechickens - 2 silkies and 2 seramas and she is forever wiping up after them - but, her house has no odor - so she must do a good job. When company comes - they all run and hide behind the sofa- peeking out at intervals to see if the strangers have finally departed. They are funny to watch.

Do you happen to be from UK? If you go to "where am I, where are you." you may be able to locale UK threads and post on there also. Your daughter is much braver than I am, I don't even want to think about caterpillars on anything = let alone pick them up.
sickbyc.gif

My cheeky chickens camp out on our back door step in the evenings when we let them up to the house. We try to keep them at the bottom of the garden for most of the day but do like to spend time with them. They now run up the garden every time they hear the door open. The other day one hen got very confident and not only ventured into the kitchen but I found her on the chair in the dinning room. You have to watch those chickens.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom