Hello, I don't know if my duckling is sick or not

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Spitfire64, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Spitfire64

Spitfire64 New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    Hello, I have just joined BYC and I have recently got some what I have found after long amounts of research to be muscovy ducklings off the side of the road with no mother to care for them. I have cared for them for about a week now and they have at least doubled in size.
    lately one of them has started to cough and sneeze ( I think that is what it is) and when i listen really close she sometimes is wheezing when she breathes, but not all the time. i was thinking of getting deworming like flubenvet but cant find any in the area. there is nothing of the sort of duck vets in perth so i am on my own here.
    they have lots of water and I try to let them have a warm bath every day so they get tired and sleep as well as clean their nostrils.
    they are currently eating non medicated poultry starter from City-farmers. They don,t really like the heating lamp so I put a warm water bottle every couple of hours in their cage and they lay on it. I also warm them in my hands ones or twice if it is a cold day.
    I mostly just want to know if I should be panicking or not.
    both ducklings are eating and running around happily, and I think the other one is also coughing.

thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. Spitfire64

Spitfire64 New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    Also just tonight it has started to get worse and she is wheezing and coughing and does not have the usual energy she usually has.
    Any help would be very very helpful right now [​IMG]

3. Spitfire64

Spitfire64 New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    There seemed to be a large draft where they where sleeping, we changed their housing and it seems to have gotten much better. the coughing is still there occasionally but the heavy wheezing harsh breath is gone. for any one having the same problem check that there is not draft any where even if it may be even the smallest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by