Hello - I goofed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by butterflygrl, Jan 28, 2015.

1. butterflygrl

butterflygrl New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    I've had my chickens for almost a year now.
    4 sweet hens - one RiR (EE), one Plymouth barred rock, one white crested Polish, and one Americauna.
    The 3 big girls lay consistently, The Polish (aka Stoopid) has never layed that I'm aware of.

I wasn't paying much attention when I got the last bag of feed, and got pellets instead of crumbles which they'd had previously. They don't seem to like the pellets at all.
    I also got them some 5 grain Scratch. This is also, eaten half heartedly. (It's been cold for SE Texas, I wanted to give them the Scratch for a little extra warmth).

Short of grinding up 50 lbs of pellets (not going to happen), is there anything I can do? It seems that they're doing just fine on the back yard bugs at the moment.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! A few years go I bought some pellets for my chicks that turned out to be way too big for them to eat. We worked around that by wetting the pellets. It softens up within minutes of you adding the water (just a bit of water will do) and you can then quickly turn it into more appealing "crumbles" by stirring it and breaking it up. The things we do for our fussy birds? [​IMG] Enjoy the site!

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    If you add warm water they really love it. Makes a nice winter treat :)

You could also try mixing them with their regular crumble to help them get used to it.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Why not try fermenting both the pellets and the scratch grains. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and my chickens are loving it.... laying/breeding flock and cockerels being fattened up for meat.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! I like the water-softening idea. Have fun with your chickens!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Hope the water softening works.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

Moistening the feed should definitely help. My chickens like crumbles more than pellets, though they still eat the pellets.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I'd would try moistening the feed, like the other posters suggested. My chickens will eat both crumbles and pellets, but they definitely prefer the crumbles.

Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by