Hello, I have a question about feed....

backyardchickenfarmer

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Toms river, New jersey
Hello, Ive heard that giving corn for the chickens in the winter helps them keep warm, now my question is, how do you give them the corn? do you mix it with there feed or give them a bowl of it seperate?or just give them corn in the winter?Thanks

I have always mixed it with their feed, they gobble it up with nothing left but dust. I also reduce corn usage as it gets warmer, but still give them some throughout the year...

Just my 2 cents worth here . . .

I think mixing any grain with processed feed becomes just an excuse for the birds to bill the expensive feed out to get to the grain. The expensive feed deteriorates rapidly in the litter and the birds will continue and continue and continue to dump feed on the floor.

I'm inclined to put the grain on the floor - or, it goes in their treat tray.

Giving grain can lower Winter feed costs. They need a few extra calories during cold weather.

Steve

Quote:
There's a reason they call it scratch. Just toss some on the ground for them and let them "scratch" for it.
As Digits said, they'll waste alot of feed if you mix it in. Continue to give the same amount of layer feed and use the corn as their dessert.

I agree with gritsar. The corn would be a treat. I give soaked oats as a winter treat along with some corn. But always the same amount of layer pellets.

Hey FarmGirl, I just noticed your location. We're going to the Texas side this morning. I'll wave as we drive by, 'k?
lol.png

There's so much corn in scratch that I don't give them a separate supply. I do give them more scratch in the winter, and more on frigid mornings than mornings that start about freezing. They're regular feed is always available, as well, plus whatever they can dig up while they're foraging.

Just a little FYI. At our local co-op there are three types of supplement that fall under the heading of scratch:

Scratch grains - cracked corn mixed with oats and some seeds.

Mash - which is ground corn and looks very much like yellow corn meal. I've fed this by mixing it with warm water as a winter treat.

Chops - which is all cracked corn without other grains.

Back
Top Bottom