1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello, I have a question for a first time chicken owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WildCochinReba, Apr 30, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG] Hello everyone! Let me start off saying I never intended be a chicken owner, I thought about it but thought no, it's to much work. Until two weeks ago my mother's coworker gave her a Cochin chick because her mother refused to have a chicken in a apartment. (I never heard of people keeping chickens in a apartment) so we accepted her and...I'm so glad we did! I fell in love with her when I first laid my eyes on her. Let's just say I spoil her rotten. [​IMG] I have two questions; can anyone tell how old do you think she is? (If you can tell by the blurry picture, she won't stand still, haha) and how much crickets and mealworms should I feed her? She obsessed with the crickets! Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] From the pic I'd guess she can be around 2 weeks old. I'd have to see her wings properly to be certain. I'm sure she loves crickets and mealworms, but limit it to just bit daily, for now and make sure her main diet is a formulated chick starter with all the nutrients she needs to grow and stay healthy. If she's your only chick I'd suggest you get her a buddy or two. Chickens do much better if they have friends of their own species to hang out with. Much as they enjoy our company and the spoiling of course! Please have a look in the Learning Center at the raising chicks articles for more info and enjoy the site!

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good advice from Sumi so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

Have you named your little chick yet?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    Y
    Yes! Reba! Yesterday I got her a friend and named her Lola. [​IMG] I'll post a pic later.

6. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    Thank you for your advice! And yesterday I got her friend and they love each other!

1 person likes this.
  7. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG] Here's Lola!

8. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG] The both of them. [​IMG]

9. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Beautiful chicks! Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a brooder for them with a heat lamp? Chicks can chill easily. When they are fully feathered out, they no longer need supplemental heat. .Best to stick with the chick starter, when they are eating other things like bugs, or greens they need grit .which they will get once they are outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by