Hello, i have a question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Heide1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Heide1

Heide1 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hoquiam, washington
    Hi there,
    My new barred rock chicks are due to arrive this coming tuesday. I am so excited! It has been a few years since my husband and i had chickens around to enjoy. Since we both worked so much, that was our entertainment, pull up a lawn chair and watch the chickens, lol. We both really enjoyed that, and will again soon. I have a question. I also ordered a few African Geese, and they will be here on the 4th of april. This is our first time having geese. Can i put them in with the chicks? I would really like to raise them all together. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, and have a great day![​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. No you do not want to keep gosling with chicks.

3. Heide1

Heide1 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hoquiam, washington
    ok, ty for the advice, Kevin. I appreciate it. I have had chickens in the past, but never geese. i had read that they were good to alert for predators in the coop at night.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes geese are wonderful. You'll love having them around but they can be aggressive with chickens especially during breeding season. When everyone is free ranging it's usually not a big deal but penned together can be a problem.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. Heide1

Heide1 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hoquiam, washington
    thanks kevin. I do have alot of room to keep them separate, and they wont be out to free range unless we are home. so i will be able to keep a close eye on them. looking forward to the chickens and the geese! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Heide1, and [​IMG]! Pleased you found our site and signed up! Good luck to you and your poultry!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Goslings and chicks - together not a good idea for a multitude of reasons. From feed needs to water mess issues to size difference --------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by