Hello, I just got Chickens for the first time Introducing myself VIDEO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Jun 9, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Hello all,

I just got into the whole chicken thing, i built a coop and a 12X12 run around it. We got 6 chickens 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, 1 Brahama, and 1 Golden Comet.

you can log in anytime time to see them between 8am-8pm to see them here http://68.194.75.28:8005/ username and password are both guest, early in the morning and later on in the afternoon is the best time seeing as its a cheaper camera. But it allows me to make sure they are ok while im at work all day.

Can you tell the sex by the chickens tail? My one BR has a very thin tail compared to the other 5 chickens. Plus he had a rather large white spot on its head when i first got it, so im think hes going to be a rooster.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Hello and welcome , I am recently new to keeping chickens also and also just got 2 ducks yesterday so cannot answer your question on telling the sex sorry, but I think your camera idea is fantastic:)

3. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hey there and Welcome!!! [​IMG]

Beware...Chicken fever catches quickly! I'll have to check out the camera - that is a great idea! I'm sitting at work panicking all day about them in this heat.

4. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    I built the coop behind my shed and we have pretty good foliage around the property. Everyonce and awhile they lay in the dirt to cool off, Im amazed on how fast they learn. I just put them in the coop last weekend. The first couple of days they didnt want to leave the coop i had to pick a couple up and bring them outside, then the rest would eventually follow, after the first night they go to bed by themselves like clock work 8:30, all i have to do is lock them up. I also had to physically put a couple on the roost, because they were not using it, that took one try.

What do i do about food and water inside the coop. Does it need to be there or is it strictly for sleeping and laying? They don't seem to go in the coop at all until bed time. Then when i go in the morning the water or food is knocked over, seems wasteful.

Appreciate opinions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by