Hello! I would like to know more!!

lildebsd

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
I have fallen in love with silkies, but want to learn all I can before plunging into this new adventure.
I have never owned chickens, and would have never in my wildest dreams ever thought I'd be posting about owning one...but here I am! Eyes wide open and ready to gain some knowledge!
Thank you for helping me along my new journey!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! A great place to start is the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping you'll find useful https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
If you do a search, there are lots of Silkie threads, ie here is the longest one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread if you have specific colors in mind, most have their own thread also.
and it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors and any suggestions they have for raising birds in your area or for finding birds locally https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Looks like Kelsie has you on a good path with all the links. Definitely stop by the learning center. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of caring for your flock. And the Silkies thread will be very helpful if you need anything specific to Silkies.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
x2 on Kelsie's and TwoCrows's advice. From my personal experience with Silkies is that due to the feathers on their head blocking their vision, they tend to be picked on by other chickens. If you plan on getting other types of chickens I would house them separately. Good luck to you!

Oh my goodness! Such nice help and greetings!
I never even gave it a though if my area even allowed owning chickens!
I'd best gain that knowledge first before I go any further!
Thanks all for the greetings and great links!
Kind regards!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies, and they were delightful little birds, sweet and funny and friendly. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkies.

Most non-chicken folks would never guess a silkie is a chicken. They think it is some kind of fluffy dog (from a distance). Silkies also make great house pets and probably would go unnoticed unless you have a rooster. There is a popular thread on here called "People with house chickens."

Welcome to BYC!
There's so much info on this site, and a friendly group to join.

My dream of chickens for pets wouldn't have come true without the help of the info offered in this site.
Feel free to post questions and access years of experiences ( not mine, but everyone else's- I have opinions and little experience!)

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom