hello! i'm a city girl with chickens :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Micayla47, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Micayla47

Micayla47 New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    So, on July 15th, my son decided we should get chickens so we could "get fresh eggs and save money." He was going to build them a coop, feed them and clean up after them. Cut to July 25th: I am now the mother/caretaker of 4 baby chicks. I just had a half-built, incorrectly designed chicken coop hauled to the dumpster and spent a small fortune purchasing a professional one. Cut to December 7th: after five months of daily cleaning and feeding MY chickens, we got our first egg. And it only cost about $1,500!!!

Anyway, it turns out we have three hens and one rooster and they're pretty awesome creatures. I don't have any experience to compare it to, but it seems like our chickens are super friendly and cuddly. And they're so entertaining. I was worried about our two cats and two dogs harming the chickens, but it turns out they can hold their own. If anything, the cats and dogs are quite intimidated by the chickens, especially my rooster.

I've been relying on this site for most of my information about raising chickens, so I decided to stop lurking and join. :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    The eggs have started - welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    HI city girl with chickens - sounds like you are doing great. Still need to find something the son can do since he started it all. Have him bring in the eggs daily or poop scoop.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

When I first started with chickens (8 "hen chicks" - one of which turned into an accidental rooster) I had NO clue they would each have their own personalities. Who knew?

I agree with Diva - your son needs to show just a touch of "ownership" for that project he started. (Said teasingly, not at all suggesting he doesn't already.) ;)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us and merry Christmas!!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Welcome to BYC, and the experience of a life time .............

7. Micayla47

Micayla47 New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

drumstick diva and gryeyes, i agree with you! but he's a slippery teenaged boy.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Here let me explain what I do with my youngest boys,,, 1. Pick up the eggs 2. Feed and water them at least once a day or no X Box and after a wile I do not even have to say a thing
    and all is taken care of I also get him to help me build the chicken cages ..... 3. Bouth of them have to keep record of the eggs gathered for the day and how much food and the different
    types of feed are consumed ....... I know right now he is totally unaware he is learning how to manage ..... I never have ether one of them clean up poop as punishment ...........
    Now I would hope you understand I am not telling anyone how to do anything just putting down what I do or run things ..........
    But I do agree with drumstick diva ......

gander007

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome and thanks for joining! Good luck with your son. I have a wife and four children who were chicken crazy until the work started! Now I am a part-time chicken farmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by