Hello I'm a newcomer from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chazster3, Dec 9, 2012.

1. chazster3

chazster3 Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2012
    [​IMG] Hello Everyone,

I'm new to BYC. We have 3 RI Reds and 12 Black Sex Links with another 10 varieties coming to our coop in May of 2013. I plan to keep expanding my flock here in Southern Maine as I am having no problem selling the eggs which pays for their food and lodging. My girlfriend and I have lived together here for 10 years but have only had chickens for 3 years now. We enjoy hiking, kayaking, and country living. We have 5 acres with a small trout pond and 2 Shiba Inus to keep us company. Recently we founded a non-profit organization to help protect rural landowners' rights like ourselves. If you are interested you can check it out at ruralme.org. I also maintain a facebook page at www.facebook.com/ruralinme.com. It seems that there are always folks from the city areas that want to take away our freedom here in the country for their gains.
    Next spring I will be constructing a new coop. I'm thinking that a 12 X 12 should be large enough for about 50 or so chickens. I like to allow them access to the outdoors so I will also make a large completely fenced in area for them to enjoy the outside. Racoons were a serious issue our first 2 years and we had to kill 3 of them that had gotten into our coop unfortunately [​IMG]. I worked hard to completely encapsulate the current coop and pen. After loosing 7 chickens and 3 racoons I was very motivated. We haven't had any more deaths since. I only let the chickens free range when I am outside with them.

We welcome any suggestions on the construction of our new coop or on any other matter.

Thank you, Chazster3 [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. chazster3

chazster3 Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2012
    Thank you redsoxs. Much appreciated [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Hello from central Maine! Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place for help and information. The people here are awesome and always willing to help.

6. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. Lilytoes

Lilytoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Milford
    [SIZE]:thumbsup:yiipchick[/SIZE]Welcome to BYC ! You're going to love it here.

8. joesmania

joesmania Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Welcome to BYC ! I like my freedoms .... all of them.

So many laws being passed to protect us from ourselves !

9. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    HI! I'm kinda new here, too. Also from Maine! Welcome :)

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by