Hello. I'm farmerkevin. I'm new to chickens :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farmerkevin, Nov 30, 2013.

1. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Hello. So today I was very fortunate to be given free chickens and a free "coop." Coop is in quotation because its basically a canopy with chicken wire. But hey. It's a start.

So my neighbors want their dog to have run of the yard. But the dog attacks the chickens. No problem, I've been wanting chickens for a while, but I'm just about broke every month. So no money for the coop or chickens.

Ok enough babbling. Haha.

I need help identifying 3. I know 2 are barred rocks. They are awesome. Very friendly and very talkative :)

The others are kinda mean. They started pecking the barred rocks :(

I will be getting pics in the morning. Just tonight came too quick haha. I spent too much time tearing down the "coop" and rebuilding it.

So here's a pic of the coop and you can see one hen in question [​IMG]

And here it is over all. I know I need a better structure/roost. But funds are limited, so I'll be upgrading as I go :)[​IMG]

I would like advice. Just please be nice :) hey I'm a poet and didn't even know it. I rhyme all the time hahaha

So yeah. Please give me your thoughts, advice, concerns, criticisms etc. I'm totally new to this, and am really lost.

Thanks in advance :)

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] i dont see too much wrong with it. the top, i dont know where you live but it looks like it might collect too much snow or rain and bow it down. i just wonder the height of it and if it is fastened down good all the way around, if you put a ladder in the middle a bit higher than the cover it would allow for the rain to wash off and give a roost??

3. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome :)

I am in Southern California. The height is about 6 foot. I can stand straight up and my head barely touches the shade cloth.

We get rain here, but last time it snowed was 1983-1984.

I do plan on getting more shade cloth. One that goes front to back completely. Then have a tarp over that in rainy times. Then remove when the weather nicens up a bit.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hope you will post their photos soon. You can also post photos at "what gender or breed is this," thread

5. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Welcome to BYC. These are great people willing to share their knowledge.

7. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome gals/guys. And as promised, here are pics of my girls :)

Barred rock [​IMG]

And the unknown ones [​IMG]

The one sure does look like a rooster [​IMG]

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    one is rir road island red

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The barred rocks are being picked on because they are younger than the other two pullets. One of those is a game hen, and the other looks like a RIR cross. You have a nice pen, but a dog/coyote/coon can tear through the chicken wire readily. Make sure to lock the chickens in the coop at night. Good luck with your flock.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by