Hello, I'm new and could use some much needed advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnaTheDreamer, Jan 4, 2014.

1. AnaTheDreamer

AnaTheDreamer New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Hello there, I am a 16 year old girl who is just chomping at the bit to have a small farm with livestock of some form... the only problem is, my city is urban and has chicken laws. Absolutely NO chickens they say. Which is crushing, but I came up with a new scheme. I got ducks. Three beautiful Cayuga females. Those girls were my babies, but tragically all three died. One died of unknown causes at approximately two months of age. My other two girls were attacked and eaten by a raccoon who broke into their coop at night. I was so completely heartbroken I considered giving up my dream of having an urban micro farm.. but that dream has resurfaced recently and is now stronger and more determined than ever.
    Hence, my discovery of backyardchickens.com [​IMG] I'm hoping someone here could help me with ideas of livestock (preferably foul, but I'm opened to anything!!) for a beginning farmer who is within city limits. I'm considering coturnix quail as an alternative to getting more ducks, but I'm still not sure. Are there any other types of foul I should consider?
    I'm kinda looking for a lower maintenance critter (taking into consideration that I have loads of school work) but I'm not afraid of having to put in time and effort, and get my hands dirty.[​IMG]
    I look forward to hearing everyone's comments and advice! I need all the help I can get![​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Welcome to the BYC! We'll try our best to head you in the right direction. First off, are any poultry legal in your area? I can't suggest you get anything that would land yourself and your parents fines by the city/township.

If you can legally have poultry other than chickens, why don't you try a few Muscovy ducks. They don't quack so your less likely to get your neighbors mad. All the Pekins or Rouens I've had were extremely loud.

If you have raccoons, I would invest in a predator proof coop and run so you don't have to worry about while you're away at school. Hardware cloth is the way to go, but it's expensive.

I wouldn't suggest you get anymore poultry until you get your coop setup, if a coon can get in that easily, he'll do it again and again until there are no more meals left.

3 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Sorry about the loss of your birds. Take a look around here on BYC and see if some critter here doesn't tempt your heart.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Hello, AnaTheDreamer, I the same age what to do the small farm in the urban. I have lost my bird to dogs, hawks and cats. But dont give up and welcome to this amazing web site.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] BYC has lots of great and helpful info!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

10. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry you lost your ducks, i would help with other fowl if i could but all i know is chickens.
    If you are interested in trying to change laws, i would post somthing in the "Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them)" forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by