Hello! I'm new and have some questions on breeds.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HottLemonade2886, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HottLemonade2886

HottLemonade2886 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Hi! My husband and I are thinking about getting two chickens as egg layers. I did help raise two chickens that turned out to be roosters that my sister rescued from a friend around Easter time a few years ago but never had to deal with breeds or adult chickens. First, we think we want to get the eglu to house the chickens. Does anyone have one and what do you think of it? Also, we are leaning towards getting baby chicks at the local feed store instead of getting the eglu with the two chickens so we can raise them from birth and pick the breed. The local feed store right now has pullets that are Cinnamon Queens and Barred Rocks. We want a breed that is a good egg layer and is not aggressive and very friendly. We live in Georgia so we don't have to worry so much about cold weather but more the hot summers. Does anyone know if one of the breeds above are better than the others for what we are looking for? Other question is, is it easy to determine the sex of baby Barred Rocks? I know Cinnamon Queens can be sexed by their color but wonder if the Barred Rocks are easy as well. Also, would it be okay to have a Cinnamon Queen and a Barred Rock together or would it be better to have two that are the same breed? Any info would be great because I would hate to get chickens that turn out to be a bad fit and need to find a new home for them. Thanks for reading my post and for any help![​IMG]

2. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    [​IMG] my brs seem to be doing pretty good in Fl they have plenty of shade though

3. chicken farmer meigs

chicken farmer meigs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Florence Mt.
    I like the barred rock bred. very easy going lays a nice brown egg. As for mixing the two together they shoud be fine I have 6 diffrent breeds together and they get a long just fine.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Great questions! I hope my answers will help you get started.

Quote:I think the Eglu is fine as a tractor for when you're out in the yard with your chickens, but personally I see it as being just a bit too small, and probably not as predator-proof as other options. Are you thinking of expanding your flock from two to more in the future?

Also, we are leaning towards getting baby chicks at the local feed store instead of getting the eglu with the two chickens so we can raise them from birth and pick the breed. The local feed store right now has pullets that are Cinnamon Queens and Barred Rocks. We want a breed that is a good egg layer and is not aggressive and very friendly. We live in Georgia so we don't have to worry so much about cold weather but more the hot summers. Does anyone know if one of the breeds above are better than the others for what we are looking for?

I think both would be fine in your area. Provide your chickens with plenty of shade, lots of cool water, and a place to dustbathe and they should be fine. Barred Rocks are usually pleasant and friendly, at least in my experience, but it does depend on how much time you spend with your birds as they grow up ("taming" them with treats and attention helps a LOT).

Other question is, is it easy to determine the sex of baby Barred Rocks? I know Cinnamon Queens can be sexed by their color but wonder if the Barred Rocks are easy as well.

You can't feather sex Barred Rock chicks, unfortunately.

Also, would it be okay to have a Cinnamon Queen and a Barred Rock together or would it be better to have two that are the same breed? Any info would be great because I would hate to get chickens that turn out to be a bad fit and need to find a new home for them. Thanks for reading my post and for any help![​IMG]

It should be fine to keep any standard-sized chickens together. [​IMG]

If you're interested in doing any more breed research, check out the comparison chart here.

In addition, our BYC coop pages may inspire you.​

5. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    first off i dont have an eglu but have heard mixed reviews of it. and the birds, well i "think" that you can spot sex barred rocks but not sure, and you can easily get one of each but i suggest getting 3 because if one dies, fairly common in new chicks, then you still have 2 and if you got say a dog house instead of the eglu it can easily hold 3. there wont be much more feed consumed for 3 then for 2 and you shouldnt really keep chickens alone they are social animals that need another of their own kind.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] From Washington

I don't know anything about Cinnamon Queens, but have had Barred Rocks and found them to be good layers and friendly. There have been several threads about Eglu coops, try searching. Sorry I'm not the best help. Welcome to chickenhood.

Imp

ETA- Others have come along Yea!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

8. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

9. HottLemonade2886

HottLemonade2886 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Thanks for all the help so far. We don't plan to expand more than 2-3 birds because one, we don't have a lot of room, two we don't have much need for a lot of eggs and three, want to be okay with leaving them alone if we left for a week. The guy at the feed store said they should be okay for a week alone if they had plenty of food and water. We do have some trees in the backyard and plan to have them under the trees where there is also not a lot of grass so they can sit on the cool dirt. Another thing I've been wondering about is at night are you supposed to lock the chickens in the coop without food and water or leave it open so they can go in the run?

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Welcome.

I personally would not use the eglu i do not think they are predator proof enough plus they are small inside. easier to build a small doghouse size for two girls.

The cinnamon queens are a hybrid made for laying so they will lay well. brown eggs of course. I cannot speak to their personality. You can sex them by color so you know they are pullets.

The barred rocks are excellent layers of brown eggs and most people say they are very friendly birds. You cannot sex by color but there are ways. yell out for speckledhen she is good telling the sex of barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by