Hello! I'm new from NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NorthboundBear, Jul 29, 2013.

1. NorthboundBear

NorthboundBear Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    We have had a small flock for a couple years but recently I have branched out and tried new breeds and even been successful with hatching eggs from brooders. I started out with 12 Red Pullets and 24 White Leghorns. Since I was keen to the idea of Free Ranging, I lost half of my flock the first year. (I have some fat foxes now) My darling husband came home from TS one day with 12 assorted bantams; cute as buttons! We lost 7 of those Bantams to various predators in the first year, but than we have multiplied to 25!!!!
    This past Spring, we went to TS and acquired 12 Columbian Rock Cross, 12 New Hampshire and 6 Peking Ducks!
    Recently, we have finished constructing a new Chicken House with a fenced in yard. The whole family has gotten involved with the joys of constructing and I really hope the chickens will enjoy it also.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NorthboundBear, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Best of luck to you and your mixed flock!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you need to build a Ft.knox coop and run, to serve up notice NO FREE CHICKENS for the predator populace or you will be replacing them all the time. Consider some electric fencing to dissuade the bad guys.

7. NorthboundBear

NorthboundBear Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    In fact, we just got done building our Ft. Knox/Taj Mahal. LOL I asked for a simple coop with a fenced run.....my sweet hubby/contractor went crazy! We moved the flock (minus many of the roosters) last night and everyone is doing very well. But the idea of adding electric to the perimeter has been tossed around a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by