1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello I'm new to all of this!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickMi, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ChickMi

ChickMi Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2015
    Oklahoma
    My husband, his bother and father recently purchased Red Star Hens and they are laying like crazy. My question is how much do we charge for fresh eggs? We are located near Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. South Eastern part of the state. We DO NOT plan on taking them to the FARMERS MARKET so food handler laws do not apply to us, we just want to sell them from the home. So, any advise as to how much we should sell a dozen for?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Welcome to BYC!! Most eggs we give away to family and friends but when we do sell them occasionally it's for $2 a dozen

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickMi

ChickMi Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I am very excited to have found this Web Site all of you are so welcoming and helpful. We have been giving away many of the eggs to friends at church, but some insist on paying and have family and friends that WANT TO BUY FRESH EGGS. I just don't want to overcharge and thought if we could charge enough to buy egg containers to hand them out in then it works out.

5. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    If you're looking for egg containers I'd check online and craigslist. I buy them at my local auction very cheap. The last lot I bought was like $3.50 for ~200-300 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickMi

ChickMi Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thank you so much that was my next question. There is so much to learn at the same time your trying to take the best possible care of your chickens. I just didn't know they could lay this many eggs so fast!

7. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Try and find as many different recipes possible that use eggs lol!

1 person likes this.
  8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in a PM!!

Good luck with the flock!!

-Turkenstein25

1 person likes this.
  9. 6275Smith

6275Smith Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! [​IMG] People around here typically sell their eggs for $2-$3 per dozen. Tons of good advice here. Just look around and make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. We are currently selling our excess brown eggs to our neighbors for $2.50 per dozen, which is less than the stores sell them for. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by